Has anyone out there begun receiving numerous robo calls recently?
CARGRI43
Enthusiast - Level 1

Multiple area codes (469,613,305,254,717,314,214,253,347,904) No messages.  Looked up numbers and they all say telemarketing/robo.  Am I just a victim of someone selling my phone number?

Labels (1)
Re: Has anyone out there begun receiving numerous robo calls recently?
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I get them all the time. I just hit the block and forget about them

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We don't want you to get those annoying phone calls Kathy65793.Here https://wbillpay.verizonwireless.com/vzw/nos/safeguards/safeguardLandingPage.action?intcmp=INT-MVZ-V... is how you can safeguard your account/number

AmberF_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Could be that you put your number on a website and they sold it. If you were signing up for stuff. Do you have your number on Facebook? I don't get these calls and I don't put my number on any websites of Facebook.

If I get them, I answer and select the opt out option.

0 Likes
a_p123
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually this is a pretty big topic of concern to many...  and the ugly truth is that Verizon could fix if they wanted to but they will not (so far) because there is no profit motive.

If you get few or no such calls realize you are very lucky. Once you get on a aggressive telemarketers list you will be getting several calls a day offering things ranging from enhancing your manhood to stealing your money or worse. They will use a infinite number of rotating phone number so blocking will have no effect, they completely ignore the do-not-call list, they operate off shore (often Africa) and could care less. It can be more than a annoyance if you (like me) often have to go to some trouble to answer your phone (sitting on the tractor for instance). And, if you do make the mistake of talking to them you will be sorry, they are uber aggressive, and use tactics such as profanity to tee you off in hopes you will buy something to shut then up (right.....). There goal is to be so obnoxious that you will throw money at them to get them to go away.

Nationally it is of such great concern that the FCC actually held a contest to see who could fix the problem, the cost of such calls is astronomical and all junk network traffic. The contest winner was a program call "nomorobo". The way it works is simple, subscribers report when they get a robo dial and the number is added to a data base. In only a few minutes that number is then blocked for all the other nomorobo users (robo dialers make thousands of outbound calls in a very short time). It works, but few carriers (incl Verizon) support it, it requires a feature called "simultaneous ringing" which Verizon could support if they chose to do so.

Aside from supporting nomorobo Verizon is certainly capable of developing their own much better solution but sadly they will not for unknown (certainly profit motivated) reasons.

There you have it... these robo dialing scum definitely have a negative effect on my life, and because Verizon refuses to fix it so do they.

Listen up Verizon, you subscriber base is suffering because of you.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

The reason (and this is only speculation) why Verizon doesn't block calls is because they are NOT in the business of blocking calls. They are in the business of connecting calls. Plain and simple.

How about this scenario-

Verizon start blocking robo calls. It works well. You have a family member or a friend who has an emergency and the system is not functioning properly (as computer systems often do). You don't get that call and something tragic happens. Now you're mad at Verizon and you come here spewing hate about how you missed an important phone call.

Nomorobo has been EXHAUSTIVELY discussed on this forum. we don't need an education on this service. There aren't any mobile networks that is works on. NONE. Maybe it is profit that is the deciding factor that in the lack of support. Or imagine this- upgrading the system to support Nomorobo could be wicked expensive and how does Verizon cover that cost? They pass it on to us by the way of higher service fees. In a time when we are getting more value for our dollar with our mobile subscriptions, I would rather Verizon not pass any costs on to my bill.

So how do you get rid of these "annoying" calls? If you have an iPhone, YOU can get the Nomorobo app and YOU can pay the $1.99 monthly to use the service. Or you can use a higher level of discretion about who you give your telephone number to. Like me. I mentioned that I don't put my telephone number on social media like Facebook and Twitter. I don't sign up for any website that requires my phone number to be on file either. If I am ordering something online, I will give my phone number for ordering purposes only. I order lots of stuff online. I am guessing that you gave your phone number on a website that has a TOS which includes the fact that that the company can share/sell your information.

The only party to be mad at in this situation is the entity you chose to business with that sold your name and number on a list. It is not Verizon. It is not Verizon's responsibility to correct it either. It is yours. The cost should fall on you and you alone.

If all else fails, get yourself a Google Voice number and give that out to websites and companies that will sell your information and don't link it to your cell phone for forwarding. Also, start answering these calls and selecting the opt out option. They all include it.

0 Likes
a_p123
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are very uninformed.

Verizon could easily solve this issue if they wanted to.

It is a huge problem to many people, and eventually it will affect you.

This is a point where Verizons performance is very sub par, your blind support of them on this makes me suspicious of your motives...

The people who do this have zero regard for things like TOS, do not call lists, or any other. Trying to opt out will only verify to them that your number is legit and increase the calls.

You need to educate yourself before spewing fake news...

Best.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

It won't start for me. I don't give my number out. How many times do I have to tell you that?

I was in the hospital for a heart problem. I just turned 40. I kept getting calls for a medical alert system. I chose the opt out option and stopped receiving the calls.

Here is my argument:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

https://www.wired.com/2015/01/guy-found-way-block-robocalls-phone-companies-wouldnt/

The big phone companies trace the blame back to the 1934 Telecommunications Act. The CTIA—the trade group that represents the nation’s wireless carriers—says that the FCC has made it clear that, while phone companies might let consumers block specific numbers, they have a legal obligation to complete phone calls, no matter who they’re from.

In fact, late last week, the CTIA wrote the FCC to tell it that the kind of blacklist approach taken by Foss’s company wouldn’t work. According to the lobbying group, it raises privacy concerns—and causes other problems too.

“Even assuming an accurate database of blacklisted and whitelisted numbers can be compiled and maintained, the ease with which modern equipment and software can allow a caller to spoof a caller ID would present significant challenge,” the group says. “Moreover, the database for any blacklist would be very large and continually growing, such that maintaining and operating the database would be a massive undertaking.”

Who will maintain the database? Who will pay for it? Who will make sure that legitimate numbers don't get blocked? Will You? Will you not complain the first time the system fails?

I don't want Verizon to start blocking calls. That is NOT what I pay them for. Will you accept a pay service to block these calls from your line only?

I do not know of anyone in my family or circle of friends who receives these calls incessantly. Keep your number private and you won't get them.

0 Likes