Grandfathered + upgrading?
kobedaman24

Hello,

I am a current Verizon customer. We are still in an old family plan with just minutes and one additional line off which I have the old unlimited data plan on my iPhone 4. I know that Verizon has completely revamped the data plans so I am still figuring out what to do. I would like to purchase an iPhone 5. If I get one out of contract from eBay will I be able to retain my unlimited data, or will I be forced to change my data plan?

Thank you for any help you can offer me!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Grandfathered + upgrading?
Not applicable

If you pay full retail price and don't sign a new contract, you can keep your unlimited data plan for now.  There are no guarantees on how long Verizon will allow us to keep unlimited data.  Speculation is they will discontinue unlimited data in July 2014, but that is just speculation.

0 Likes
kobedaman24

I recently visited Best Buy to ask them the same question, the rep said that since the iPhone 5 is an LTE phone, the grandfathered unlimited data plan can not be used because it is for 3G phones.... Didn't want to believe him though which is why I came here..

0 Likes
Not applicable

Data is data.  There is not different data plan for 3G vs 4G.  I buy all my phones directly from Verizon on-line.  Why involve a 3rd party with their own set of requirements?  You will need to pay full retail price or lose unlimited data.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Horses 547 wrote:

Data is data. 

Well technically. But the fact is Verizon CAN throttle unlimited data users that are using the 3G networks. They can NOT throttle 4G per FCC rule. At least 4G that runs on the 700 MHz spectrum they have( which right now is the only spectrum they use for 4G currently ). Which explains why they would want to make it hard for people to keep unlimited data and have a 4G device.

0 Likes
meolick

I just went to my local Verizon dealer booth at the mall and was able to upgrade my phone and keep my unlimited data plan. They told me they are the only ones that can keep you on the grandfather unlimited data plan. There might be slight price difference in the phones price, but worth it after figuring out how much extra over a month that data plan would cost me.  Why would I pay $30 a month for 2G when I pay $29.99 for unlimited. 

0 Likes
spitxfire
Contributor - Level 3

Are you sure, there's no way that's possible, I've seen a lot of people who thought they did then start getting alerts they're close to going over.  There's no one store that can let you keep your data, 3rd party indirect or direct corporate stores.  The only way you can is paying full price or going through a 3rd party like amazon or ebay.  I know there was some glitches where some people were still able to keep it, but I would check your My Verizon and make sure.

0 Likes
meolick

Its working fine for me and I am already over 2 GB and have not got any alerts.  My plan also says online that I still have an unlimited data plan.  Maybe I got lucky but I made sure of all the details from the salesperson and got to keep my unlimited data plan. I have the contract papers saying so, so I don't think its impossible but just not easy.   But yes if you try to do it online, it wont let you and neither will any of the customer service reps over the phone.  I tried that numerous times until I just went to a mall agent that I was not going to upgrade unless I got to keep my data plan as it is. My next option was to switch to Tmobile that is now free of contracts.

0 Likes
eburke
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just a heads up, they lied to you. either that or they did and alternate or buddy upgrade, meaning they upgraded another one of your lines and added the phone to the line you wanted it on.. I suggest calling in to cust service to make sure you have your unlimited data plan. Store and kiosk representitives love to lie becuase they make commission.

0 Likes