Grandfathered data plans going away?
TheSteelman
Enthusiast - Level 2
Yesterday I was in one of the corporate stores when I overheard an associate talking to a customer.

I'm not going to relate the whole coversation, but the part that caught my attention is when the associate mentioned that grandfathered data plans were coming to an end. The associate said something to the affect that Verizon was looking at contract expirations and if you were not under a two year agreement, they were cancelling your unlimited data in favor of a 2 GB data plan.

I keep up on my contract, and I just git the HTC Rezound, so I am good for two mire years, but I hope this is not true.

Something like this would make ne leave Verizon.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Grandfathered data plans going away?
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

Sounds like a salesman trying to sell a 2 year contract to someone that didn't want it.

0 Likes
JayPeriod
I would like to hear from a Verizon rep on this, myself. It wouldn't surprise me, though. Even though they told us we would always get to keep it, I actually expected to hear this at some point. Verizon seems to be worrying less and less about keeping current customers happy.
0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

JayPeriod wrote:
I would like to hear from a Verizon rep on this, myself. It wouldn't surprise me, though. Even though they told us we would always get to keep it, I actually expected to hear this at some point. Verizon seems to be worrying less and less about keeping current customers happy.

Verizon has NEVER said that you would ALWAYS get to keep your unlimited data.

0 Likes
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello TheSteelman,

I understand that this is a sensitive topic and I would like the opportunity to clarify. As of now, the unlimited data plan will continued to be grandfathered to those who has it. A two year agreement is not necessary to keep the unlimited data plan. My apologies if there has been any confusion on this topic. If there are any additional questions regarding the unlimited data feature then please reply to this post as all questions are welcomed.

Thank you...

0 Likes
JayPeriod

So, Arnett, does that mean when renewing a contract, the unlimited plan is going away?

0 Likes
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

JayPeriod wrote:

So, Arnett, does that mean when renewing a contract, the unlimited plan is going away?

No, that is not what her post said.  It said that as of now, the unlimited data plan will be grandfathered for those who have it.  That means that you can keep it as long as you have a smartphone active on the grandfathered line, regardless of whether you are in contract or not.

0 Likes
joeauch

I have been on a plan with my family for years, and was the first to switch to a smartphone/ unlimited data. My droid eris i had stopped charging and trackball stopped working,  the other eris on the plan had similar issues and was swapped for free. I submitted my claim shortly after and they wanted $100.00 from me. I decided to wait it out with an old phone until my line was eligible for an upgrade. The rep that reactivated the old phone did not mention any automatic removal of the data package or risk of losing the unlimited.

It was a couple months until my upgrade. I purchased the RAZR and found out i could not have unlimited data, and was assured that i'd have to really try to use that much. She also told me my usage from my eris (~1.5GB/ month). So i spent this first month monitoring data and holding off on large downloads until i have wi-fi. This was a pain, seeing how i got a more capable device    ( 4g, flash, hdmi out) but i cant use many of them outside of my home wi-fi(like Streaming music w/ motocast, or stream videos at  a wi-fi-less house.

I was told that something in Verizons System would not allow grandfathering unlimited data after so many days. This puts me with the "Twice the Data: 4gb" data plan for 30$, and the other three phones with Unlimited data for 30. I dont see how this makes sense.

Thanks in adv. for any help

0 Likes
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

joeauch wrote:
I was told that something in Verizons System would not allow grandfathering unlimited data after so many days. This puts me with the "Twice the Data: 4gb" data plan for 30$, and the other three phones with Unlimited data for 30. I dont see how this makes sense.

Thanks in adv. for any help

Grandfathered features can only be added back to lines that had them within 14 days of the plan change.  Verizon does this because unlimited data has been retired, and they do not want to offer it to new customers/lines anymore, and they want current holders of the plan to eventually move to current pricing.
The grandfathered status of other lines has no impact on your line because each line is its own "entity" having its own contract and add-ons (like data packages).  There isn't anything you can do to get the unlimited data back, it's gone, and has been since the 15th day after you removed it from your line.
0 Likes
joeauch

actually thats incorrect..

i called Verizon again today and told the issue to the representative. He said right away that it will be no problem since i had the package, called about my damaged phone, and rectivated a feature phone. Got it back quick and easy. 

0 Likes