Getting updates while in Japan
dmad1rulz

I heard about the 5.9.901 update had been released to Bionic users recently, but I am actually in Japan  and won't be back for a while. I tried to do the update manually via a Wifi connection, but for some reason, I don't have access to the System Update portion. I'm wondering if I did something wrong or am I even able to update this way while I'm roaming so to speak. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Getting updates while in Japan
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello dmad1rulz,

Japan is one of my favorite place in the world to visit. What city are you staying at in Japan? I hope that you having a great time in Japan, whether it's business or personal. The great news is that there is a new software update available for the Motorola Droid Bionic. The software can be updated using a wifi connection. If you are receiving an error message then please reply with the specific error message that you are receiving. This will help me determine what is stopping you from downloading the update.

Thanks in advance...

ArnettH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
dmad1rulz

There really isn't an error message per se. When I have the phone receiving

a mobile signal, the option for me to do a System Update in the Settings

menu is unavailable, even while connected to WiFi. It was only when I went

into Airplane Mode did the System Update option become available, but at

the time, it actually gave me the option to update. When I connected to the

WiFi and tried to do the update, it gives me a notification that the

download was paused and will resume during offpeak hours or something. I

wasn't sure if it meant offpeak there stateside or offpeak here in Japan,

but I attempted both, but it would not continue, so I don't know what to do.

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 7:44 AM, ArnettH_VZW

0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi dmad1rulz,

I, like Arnett, also hope you are having a wonderful time in Japan! I'm sorry for the trouble with receiving your update. It seems like you have tried everything to get the update while in Japan, to no avail.

The only thing I can say is to wait until you are back in the US and using the Verizon Wireless network. You will then be able to get the update for your Bionic. Here is a link for the update, including all details.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/system_update/droidbionic.html?sayt=software

Thanks and have a good day,

Christina B

VZW Support

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes