Re: Getting lots of spam credit cards calls. Can Verizon reduce these somehow?
Not applicable

I have 29 phone numbers blocked on my phone.  I have no idea where they came from, but I have no reason to believe Verizon is involved, but I have no way to know.

0 Likes
Rileys_Dad
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't do surveys and regularly update do-note-call services available for my state.  I do purchases at times and sometimes give out my cell phone as my contact (who doesn't unless you live in a cave hidding from drones).

0 Likes
Not applicable

I don't live in a cave....ugg ugg

My number is out to whom I wish to have it, not businesses. I don't care what they say about privacy since after they have your number they do indeed sell it, or let one of their subsidiary companies use your number or even sell it.

Having a VOIP number ( Got rid of my land line ages ago) which goes to a voice mail box and then I screen the call after which I call that person back from the Net Talk or use their excellent blocking services.

having it send to my throw away email box gives me the number of the spammer and its much easier to block.

And the cell is for my use and not theirs.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Elector wrote:

These scammers have to be stopped but as long as Verizon is making profits from these unwanted calls via paid blocking they have no incentive to stop the calls coming into their system. 

Yes you've figured out Verizon nefarious plan to earn 1 milllllllllion dollars.  hahahahahaha!

0 Likes
Not applicable

Was there something helpful in that post? It must have escaped me.

By letting these phone scammers access to their customers and then selling blocking services is a good business decision. They make money for the calls coming through their networks and they get money from the customers to block them. Its way more than a million.

Think......

0 Likes
Not applicable

I created 8 or 10 contacts on my phone called "Do Not Answer" or "Block, Ethiopia1, Ethiopia2, Fraud1, Fraud2, Gallop Poll", etc.  These numbers are all forwarded to voice mail.  Anytime I receive another call from a new number it's easy enough to add it to one of these.  This is a simple, effective, and free way to deal with this problem.  Every once in a while I will see one of these in my received call list, but they never leave a voice mail.

0 Likes
Rileys_Dad
Enthusiast - Level 2

Interesting.  I'd be interested in any andriod apps etc that proactively block calls.  The android app I found/use requires I register individual numbers after I get them.  I think that would involve some database the app service maintains and I didn't see one that did that although I could have missed an app that did in my search.   I also think something like this should be provided by the phone/wireless companies personally as it's their network and service offering that is being abused but since they are making money off spam I'm not sure they will do something like this to help their consumers even if it is the right thing to do.    Probably the first wireless company that does will have an advantage over competitors for anyone that has experienced this.

0 Likes
Not applicable

That is a good idea. We ought to make up a list of how others deal with these spammer calls.

I would love to know others methods. Maybe we can make a FAQ's

Rileys_Dad
Enthusiast - Level 2

This sounds like a somewhat good suggestion that will help with any of the phones you use.  The Android app I use is 3 clicks to add a spam num (more if I want to add text against the num).  I think  3 steps might be less.  However both only resolve it for reocurring nums.  It did cut it down from 5-20 call ringing a day to 2-5 calls with new nums.  Getting unwanted calls does interupt whatever you are doing and waste $ and having it ongoging every day is annoying quickly.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Elector wrote:

Was there something helpful in that post? It must have escaped me.

By letting these phone scammers access to their customers and then selling blocking services is a good business decision. They make money for the calls coming through their networks and they get money from the customers to block them. Its way more than a million.

Think......

You're implying Verizon wants it's customers to be scammed by these guys. Thus you are saying Verizon is engaging in illegal activity.

0 Likes