Re: Getting lots of spam credit cards calls. Can Verizon reduce these somehow?
Not applicable

He didn't say or imply that at all.  You maybe inferred that.

spitxfire
Contributor - Level 3

I don't know what it takes to block a number, what they need to do with their network or whatever, but they have it so you can only block 5 numbers for up to 90 days for a reason, it's probably something that's not practical to let customers block an infinite amount of numbers forever. 

0 Likes
okamsrazor22
Contributor - Level 1

If you have an android phone there are many apps on the Play Store that will block these for you right away. I use Blacklist Pro.

0 Likes
Not applicable

This is something that does not have an easy fix. Verizon in the past has gone after these telephone telemarketing people, robo dialing which is a federal offence to a cell phone, and has investigated and won large sums which they gave to charity and had them barred from calling their network. I think that is great. However verizon keeps logs, when they invoice for calls they know how many times a number enters their system.

The problem is there is no easy reporting mechanism to alert verizon about these unwanted or annoyance calls. Verizon has a text reporting service fir unwanted text spam, they should have one as I said for calls.

If verizon and others researched these calls and placed permanent blocks sort of like how a junk email folder works they could go after these scammers, and make the customer happy. When the scammers see it is not easy or profitable to call verizons customers everyone will be better off.

Verizon has to get these scammers now.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Horses 547 wrote:

He didn't say or imply that at all.

Yes he did

Elector wrote:

By letting these phone scammers access to their customers and then selling blocking services is a good business decision. They make money for the calls coming through their networks and they get money from the customers to block them.

If one knowingly knows of illegal activity and let it continue on its network then they are guilty too. If I know someone is selling drugs from my house and I allow it even though I am not actually involved  I am going to be hauled off to jail like the rest of the dealers.

0 Likes
Not applicable

No, he's implying Verizon wants customers to purchase blocking services so they don't get scammed.  There is no indication these are scam calls anyway.  They could simply be spam calls.  Those are entirely different.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Verizon is not involved in illegal activity. They are letting spammers and questionable telemarketing activity to occur on or through their networks. Verizon gives customers 5 free blocks which expire after 90 days. But sells usage controls that cost $4.99 a month per line. That is a business decision and a good one, lets see 98 million customers @$4.99 is much more than a million dollars. as I already told you.

Verizon has to get rid of the telemarketers that are "breaking the law" as I wrote in another post Verizon has done this and won in the past so they have the ability to get these scammer telemarketing calls from annoying their customer base.

Just like my email in box, my cell number is not to be used as a toilet for these jerks.

0 Likes
williamross
Enthusiast - Level 3

I share your sentiment. I get calls like that a lot, too, and I don't know how to make them stop. It has also crossed my mind if telephone companies do sell customer information to third party vendors because I noticed, the telemarketing calls started when I changed telephone service providers.

0 Likes
williamross
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have reported them to http://www.callercenter.com and a lot of them commented the same thing. Even legit companies sell, share or discuss customer details with third-party vendors so be careful to the terms and conditions you agree to when you sign up for a subscription.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

They do sell lists, but also, if you deal with a company and they have other companies under their umbrella, by law they are allowed to call you.

Once I got my new number, I immediately added it to the Do not call list.

Also, On the My Verizon site, be sure you go to , 'Manage Privacy Settings' and choose NOT to share your CPNI and Market and Business Reports.

0 Likes