Forced to purchase "Data Plan" contact the CEO
Ed_from_PA
Enthusiast - Level 1

Like so many on here,  I too do not think we should be forced to purchase a Data Plan.

I have contacted C S but have had no satisfaction. I have also Google the " Verizon wireless CEO" his name is Lowell McAdam, President and CEO. At the bottom of the page after googling him there is a spot that says contact him so I did.   Today I got a call from a lady at the Corporate office.  so they did get the E-mail.   Was informed that they have received many concerns. but it did not sound like any changes were in the works.  Maybe if they get enough dissatisfied customers they will correct things.   After all we are the customers and without us they will not have a company.

Labels (1)
Re: Forced to purchase "Data Plan" contact the CEO
krafft34
As for contacting the CEO of a multibillion dollar company over a company policy he most likely had a huuuuuge hand in, I'm not sure thats the best idea. No one is making you get a phone that requires internet. You are the one that picked the phone, it is just a feature that is used to help you best use the phone for what it was intended for. It's like buying a MP3 player and not wanting to use it for music or buying a Ferrari and getting mad at the insurance company for making you pay $400 a month for insurance because it goes fast. "Well I don't want to go fast in this Ferrari, I just like it." Well they would say too bad as well. You have to match your needs to a phone that fits those needs. Obviously if you are complaining about a feature that helps make that phone what it is, then you are picking the wrong phone!
0 Likes
caesar772
Enthusiast - Level 2

People are choosing these phones because they are good texting phones.  They are not good for browsing the web.  Worked fine for years without the data plan.  This is the trend our country is adopting with the "sharing of wealth".  Because of a few that don't know how to block data, it's Verizon's excuse to hammer us.  Counting down the months to leave...

0 Likes
blackbull94

Yes, I would have to agree with you on this issue. This is not the only issue I have with them. They forced me into a 1400 minute plan from 700 minute plan. If you don't get the 1400 minute plan they charge you with every known fee they can find. I use around 1000 minutes a month, I'm just curious to what I'm supposed to do with the other 400 minutes I don't use? Well I know AT&T has roll over and their plans come a lot closer  to what I need instead of a bunch of waste. We went in to upgrade a phone, and they told us that we would have to get a data plan. This is where I got a little upset with the company as a hole, not the employee working, but at the corporation and their decision making. We looked at the phones that didn't have data plans and it was more of a down grade instead of an up grade. The phones didn't have the same features as ours and I don't think the company looked at the reviews from customers, because if they would have they would have realized that they where bad.... You push this on us to go forward with getting up grades to these great $400 phones that will be very quickly out dated. We have a broadband USB card that I pay $60 a month for with two laptops. Why do I need these great data plan for? We take are laptops everywhere. I know that not everyone has the money to pay for services that are not needed like your great data plan.  Me and many other customers do though, and now you seem to think you can force us into this. We should have the option to get the phone we like with certain features and not use the others on the phone. As far as your phones I have had over $2,000 worth of phones at one time in a box ready to send back, due to malfunctioning. I have never gotten anything that I have not had to send back due to glitches or other issues had happened through no fault of my own. I would hate to see the pile of plastic that is returned to you due to similar problems. Then I had to use my great insurance to get the same thing. It's like a rotation. Why do I still continue to deal with these issues, with this multi billion dollar company, that corners their customers into what the company wants?  The other thing, these contracts are crazy too.  Anytime you do anything to your account it renews. Why? Then you have like four or five contracts going on. This is poorly ran for the consumers.....  I would strongly  suggest that you look over the companies that you plan to do cell phone business with please.

0 Likes
blackbull94

I understand what you are saying to a certain extent, but as I was looking into these "simple feature" phones, there are only three with a full keypad, which most people want these days, and they don't come with video capabilities.  I think that anyone with kids would agree that a phone with video capabilities is a wonderful feature to have on your phone.  You never know when children are going to do something adorable and who carries their camcorders or cameras with them everywhere?  On the other had most people do carry their phones with them everywhere.  I just don't understand why just because a phone has the capabilities to do certain things that we should automatically be charged for it.  Even the Blackberry with WIFI you have to purchase a data plan for.  What exactly is the point in that?  Either get rid of the fact that it has WIFI or don't charge people for the data plan.  The whole purpose of WIFI is that if there is WIFI access you can use the internet.  My Ipod touch has WIFI and I don't have to pay a monthly data charge for that.  If there is internet I can use it and if not than I don't get on the internet.  What if people don't want the features right now but may in the future.  The way things are set up now, if you don't want to be charged with data plans you have to buy a cheap crappy phone that doesn't even record video, and then if you get a job where you're on the go all the time and decide then that you do want the features, you would have to buy a whole new phone.  I just feel that it is easier for all consumers to have the choice in the matter.

0 Likes
Herne

Great....I have 3 phones to chose from at my local store. All of them flip phones.

I guess I should be so greatful for such an extensive choice.

0 Likes
kylek14

ive already contactec Mr. McAdam, specifically pointing him to the multiple thread of 3+ pages of complaints and giving him company suggestions. For all of this i have not gotten anything telling me he read it or any of that.

0 Likes
irritated

I would like to address a few comments made by Krafft:

"As for contacting the CEO of a multibillion dollar company over a company policy he most likely had a huuuuuge hand in, I'm not sure thats the best idea."

It is always a good idea for consumers to voice opinion on a practice or policy they do not agree with.  There is always a chance for change when consumers speak out whereas if someone follows your flawed advice, there is not.

"No one is making you get a phone that requires internet."

No, Verizon is making me choose between a product I do not want, a coverage I do not want, or a hefty early termination fee. This is a strong-arm tactic to push coverage (internet) that many people do not want or need.

"You are the one that picked the phone, it is just a feature that is used to help you best use the phone for what it was intended for."

Seriously? You think I can only ‘best’ use my LG Nve Touch by accessing the internet? Let me assure you that I have been ‘best’ using my Nve Touch since the day I purchased it without internet coverage last August and I am happy with its performance. I have great call reception, battery life, the keyboard is user friendly, the calculator is extremely handy, the alarm clock is the easiest to set and use of any I have ever had, the display large and terrific, the camera shoots great photos, I like the calendar setup..... Who are you to suggest that I am not getting the best use I can from my phone because I do not want, need, or have internet coverage?

"It's like buying a MP3 player and not wanting to use it for music"

No it is not.

"or buying a Ferrari and getting mad at the insurance company for making you pay $400 a month for insurance because it goes fast."

No it is not

"You have to match your needs to a phone that fits those needs."

I did exactly this when I purchased my LG Nve Touch last August (without internet coverage) and the phone is still fitting my needs perfectly today.

"Obviously if you are complaining about a feature that helps make that phone what it is, then you are picking the wrong phone! "

I did not pick the wrong phone. I picked the perfect phone for my needs and am happy with its performance and features. I do not need someone to force internet coverage on me to continue to enjoy my phone and its performance.  

Your skewed logic is similar to suggesting that if someone has any feature not utilized such as Blue Tooth, the Calendar, alarm clock, camera, stopwatch, voice commands…..that they purchased the wrong phone.

Most consumers are probably like me in the fact that they factor many items into making a  cell phone purchase. Things like size, weight, keyboard, key size, key placement and spacing, brand, consumer ratings, industry ratings, reception, battery life, style, and individual preferences such as quality of camera, music capacity… ect when making a purchase. The phone having a feature you do not need such as the capability to access the internet does not mean that the person is choosing the wrong phone. Nor should it mean that the individual should be coerced into paying for a coverage they do not need or want.

I have been using cell phones that have had the ability to connect to the internet for six or more years without utilizing this feature and have been extremely pleased with all of my cell phone choices.  On the other hand, there is not one phone sold by Verizon right now that does not require me to purchase internet coverage that I would choose of my own free will so the only choice Verizon is leaving me is to purchase an inferior cell phone (based on the same standards I have been using for years), pay for a coverage that I do not want or need, or pay a hefty termination fee.  I will be choosing the latter should Verizon not make some changes to their Data Requirement policy soon.

0 Likes
oldputter
Contributor - Level 1

Great response!  Ditto and Kudos!

0 Likes
Footslogger

Woooah     ...comparing an LG Env Touch to a Farari is beyond a stretch of the imagination. A "Feature Phone" designed primarily for calling and texting that just happens to allow web access isn't the same beast as a sports car that allows you to go fast.  Check out the LG Env Touch's web access and e-mail and you'd see that while "available" it is not the reason that the vast majoity of people would buy that phone.

True, sending e-mails to the CEO might be a bit like peeing into the wind but hey, it's a start.

Keep those e-mails flowing !

0 Likes