Figuring out data charges for Mobile Hotspot
AlexaF
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have an unlimited data plan on a 4GTE phone.  I also have Mobile Hotspot service.  I can't seem to find out 1)  Whether there is a limit on the data usage on the hotspot 2) what would the charge be for that overage, if any and 3) what my current usage is on the hotspot so I can monitor and avoid any overage charges.  Looked at my data plan in My Verizon and couldn't find this information.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Figuring out data charges for Mobile Hotspot
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

How is the data plan and the mobile hotspot feature listed on your plan?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
doooibooi

I'm looking for the same information. I have an unlimited plan still and want to use it as a hotspot just for a road trip we're taking. The best I can find is that you can connect up to 5 WiFi enabled devices that would share 2GB for $20/month. Totally reasonable expense so my phone can stream music and maps all the way and kids can use the Kindle & I can use my ChromeBook! But don't take my word for it...I think I need to call customer service to find out for sure. I suspect the overage charge would be $10 for each additional 1GB.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

doooibooi wrote:

I'm looking for the same information. I have an unlimited plan still and want to use it as a hotspot just for a road trip we're taking. The best I can find is that you can connect up to 5 WiFi enabled devices that would share 2GB for $20/month. Totally reasonable expense so my phone can stream music and maps all the way and kids can use the Kindle & I can use my ChromeBook! But don't take my word for it...I think I need to call customer service to find out for sure. I suspect the overage charge would be $10 for each additional 1GB.

That is the price (2GB for $20 per month) for the hotspot feature when you have a 3G smartphone and an unlimited data plan.

The price for the mobile hotspot feature with a 4G LTE smartphone and the unlimited data plan is $30 per month.  See screenshot below.

Screenshot_2013-07-13-13-04-43.png

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dear ALexaF,

Good morning. Ensuring you are aware of your data plan details is very important to avoid overage. I would be happy to provide some clarification regarding using the mobile hotspot option on your account.

The grandfathered unlimited data, will cover the data usage done directly on the phone itself. When adding a mobile hotpspot plan to the grandfathered unlimited data plan with a 4G device, the Mobile Hotspot is $30.00 a month with 2GB of mobile hotspot allowance. Each GB that exceeds the allowance is billed at $10.00 per GB. If you are on a 3G unlimited data plan, the mobile hotspot is added for $20.00 a month with a 2GB data allowance. Each GB that exceeds the allowance is billed at $10.00 per GB.

You may also manage your usage online via My Verizon and clicking on the data bar. You will then see mobile hotspot usage and usage from your unlimited data plan. Click to sign into your My Verizon account online http://bit.ly/xB4iTc  Should you have further questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us for further assistance. Have a great day!

Michelle_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Some of that information is incorrect and doesn't lineup with the screenshot I posted.

0 Likes
AlexaF
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well, you see, this is the problem.  When I look at my data usage, it does not show the hotspot usage separately.  How am I supposed to track the usage?

I remembered there was a data limit for the $30 hotspot charge, but when I looked at the information both on the "My Verizon" usage page and my statement, it doesn't say that anywhere.  That is why I began doubting my memory about the limit.

0 Likes
AlexaF
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am looking for the data usage on my mobile hotspot.  I don't see that in My Verizon on the "My Usage" page.  It only shows the data usage

0 Likes
prointell98

I AlexaF,

For some reason the moderator removed my response from this thread.  So here is the link to my previous response.  Which, by the way is unanswered.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/801849

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

prointell98 wrote:

I AlexaF,

For some reason the moderator removed my response from this thread.  So here is the link to my previous response.  Which, by the way is unanswered.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/801849

You linked the same discussion you just replied to.

If you are referring to https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/802076 which doesn't have the same username attached to as yours, it reads to me as a different question about a mobile broadband device and not the mobile hotspot feature on a 4G LTE phone that the OP is the discussion here is referring to.

0 Likes