FamilyBase control of Wireless Hotspots
sidesigner

I have used FamilyBase for a few months and found it to be a very useful service with kids. I haven't been able to find an answer to the following question for FamilyBase.

Although I don't currently have wireless hotspot service (not using a Share Everything plan), I want to know if FamilyBase data usage limits apply to wireless hotspot under a Share Everything plan. Is the wireless hotspot data usage just considered part of the data usage for a particular phone (desired) or is it treated separately from the phone usage limits? Essentially, can I limit data usage for a wireless hotspot in my kids phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FamilyBase control of Wireless Hotspots
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good Morning sidesinger! That is a great question. Since it is all the same data being utilized from the device for just standard data use, or hotspot services, it can all be managed via Family Base. So if you limit the access, the device cannot access data for those types of services.

Thank you for reaching out to us sidesinger. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us!

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
FamilyBase control of Wireless Hotspots
sidesigner

In addition to my previous question, can a mobile hotspot from a cell phone be controlled with FamilyBase Time Restrictions for the respective cell phone?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good Morning sidesinger! That is a great question. Since it is all the same data being utilized from the device for just standard data use, or hotspot services, it can all be managed via Family Base. So if you limit the access, the device cannot access data for those types of services.

Thank you for reaching out to us sidesinger. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us!

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
dturvene
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is the question I want to ask but I don't understand the answer.  Let me re-phrase:

I have two kids, each with an iphone.  I just started using the Family Base time restrictions.  I can see and control the 4G data usage but most of their traffic is on our home FIOS internet - which does not count towards the data plan. When I set the FamilyBase time restriction for 9pm, does this include data usage THROUGH OUR FIOS ROUTER?

Dave

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dturvene we'll make sure that everything is clear! FamilyBase restricts usage from the cellular network, however your children will still be able to connect to Wi Fi networks.

AshleyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
dturvene
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks, that's more-or-less what I thought.  "hotspot" to me means an 802.11 wifi access point, which is separate from the Verizon CDMA/LTE network.  The only way to disable access over a private 802.11 net would be an app on the phone - which is possible but not likely.  So, I'll use FamilyBase to control the CDMA/LTE access and the Verizon home router to control premises wifi access.  Nothing I can do about remote wifi hotspots at this point.

Thanks for clarifying...

0 Likes