Facebok says new device added from NY from VZW IP, but I was in Canada
dfirsching

Hello,

I was in Canada recently but just noticed two e-mails from Facebook that said that a new device had logged into my Facebook account from New York, NY, from IP 75.250.2.74. "Note: This location is based on information from your ISP or wireless provider.)

On that day, I was near Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, but my phone could have been roaming rather than connected via wifi.  (I had received a message from Facebook about a login from Halifax, but that was via wifi and it probably got the IP from the university's network.)

Is it possible that the phone via the Canadian phone service and connected to Verizon in a way to make it think it was from New York?  Note also if you look up that IP using whatismyip.com, it says that the IP is in Kansas! But it does call it a Verizon Wireless account rather than some other type of IP.

It concerns me that this could be a Facebook hack, but it actually is likely that these two logins came from me but just looked like NY. I might have accessed FB from the passenger seat of a car in Canada. (I did delete them from my FB security settings, to be safe.)

Thoughts?

Labels (1)
0 Likes