Face Time and data usage
brainsaver

I would simply like to know from Verizon whether I am using data from my 4G / month allotment when I make a call using Face Time.  I understand one has to be connected to Wi-Fi (on both ends I presume) for this feature to work.  If I'm using my WiFi service for which I am paying separately, it doesn't make sense that I would also be using Verizon data .  I have searched all over the Verizon site and the community forums and the FAQs but have not found a definitve answer. So here it is again: I have share everything unlimited call minutes and unlimted text with 4G data. I have an iPhone 4.  When I call my sister on her iPhone 4S  from my iPhone4 and we use Face Time am I , or is she,  or are we both using up data in addition to talk minutes?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Face Time and data usage
Spiral
Master - Level 1

Iphone 4 is not capable of using Facetime over the 3g data network (Apple model limitation) so that answers the question for your end of the connection - you do not use data using Facetime with an iPhone 4.

As far as your sisters connection goes, that would depend on the settings and her proximity to a WiFi connection.  iPhone 4s is able to use Facetime over either a WiFi connection or it can utilize data over the 3g network connection (not capable of 4g).  I believe there are settings available to prevent using data in the system to help manage this.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are not required to use only wifi for facetime if your device supports it on cellular data. However if you are connected to a wifi hotspot/access point the data used for the facetime video call will go through the wifi connection not cellular data.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

Iphone 4 is not capable of using Facetime over the 3g data network (Apple model limitation) so that answers the question for your end of the connection - you do not use data using Facetime with an iPhone 4.

As far as your sisters connection goes, that would depend on the settings and her proximity to a WiFi connection.  iPhone 4s is able to use Facetime over either a WiFi connection or it can utilize data over the 3g network connection (not capable of 4g).  I believe there are settings available to prevent using data in the system to help manage this.

Good luck.

0 Likes
brainsaver

THANK YOU!!!   Finally it all makes sense.  Two iPhone 4 users can only Face Time with a WiFi connection. There are no data charges. Two iPhone 4s users can adjust  their settings to either use WiFi OR 3G (if they don't have access to WiFi).  If they use 3G there are data charges. If it's one iPhone 4 user and one iPhone 4s user the iPhone4 user will have to go through Wi-Fi but the iPhone 4s user can choose. I think that without going to settings and making an adjustment it automatically uses  3G for the iPhone 4s user if there is no Wi-Fi nearby.

0 Likes
brainsaver

Though your answer is correct it was too ambiguous to be helpful.  Spiral's response really spelled it out and made things clear.  Thank you for responding nonetheless.

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

Glad we could answer that for you. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

brainsaver wrote:

Though your answer is correct it was too ambiguous to be helpful.  Spiral's response really spelled it out and made things clear.  Thank you for responding nonetheless.

Spiral is much more familiar with Apple products then I am.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes