Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
Re: Extremely SLOW data speeds!!
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

First, Verizon has the most customers of any carrier. TMobile has less than half of Verizon.

Towers only provide signal for approximately a mile. Maybe a little more but certainly NOT 20 miles. If your area is not sufficiently covered it is not Verizon that has done that. Verizon doesn't want uncovered areas. If they had it their way, there would be a tower on every street corner in America. They're not in the business to have large part not covered. Talk to your town and find out why they aren't allowing Verizon to install or upgrade the tower/s that cover you.

What sense does it make that Verizon doesn't try to improve their network?

Here is a chart to show you how the carriers stack up. The number to really watch out for is the Churn. That is % of customers leaving the carrier. Verizon has the lowest and TMobile is losing customers at almost DOUBLE the rate for Verizon.

Top U.S. Wireless Carrier Metrics Q2 2017
(ranking by subscribers, retail + wholesale)

Carrier

Subscribers (millions)

Net Adds (millions)

Postpaid Smartphone Net Adds (mil)

Blended Churn (Avg Monthly)

Service Revenue
(US$ millions)

Verizon

1.19%

$15,622

AT&T

1.28%

$14,534

T-Mobile

2.24%

$7,445

Sprint

2.28%

$5,465

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/how-verizon-at-t-t-mobile-sprint-and-more-stacked-up-q2-2017...

99silverthorn
Enthusiast - Level 2

I do not have a tiered or any unlimited plan.

I do have the same problems variously described above - unusably slow download and often nonexistent upload. I have heard the same canned excuses from Verizon ( marginal area, seasonal growth, congestion).

And my data connection went from ok in my rural area to unusable at the same time- late last spring.  Also last spring, Comcast launched mobile service and it runs on... guess what...  the Verizon network. 

I am also an educated customer. And I am very unhappy I pay for service that I am no longer getting.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

You either have a tiered plan or an unlimited plan.

If you live in a marginal service area this can happen. Something may have changed in the landscape that blocks the already weak signal from reaching you. If Verizon could, they would absolutely put a tower on every street corner in America.

0 Likes
99silverthorn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Begging your pardon- I saw “tiered” but thought speed capped. I have 16 gig and never come close to using it.

Yes, something changed. For all of us. At the same time. This is not “landscape”. It may well be Verizon marketing its services to many more customers before acquiring the capability to handle the traffic. Those of us whose paid service has been denigrated have every right to be angry and to demand a fix.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

99silverton,

We want to make sure you have reliable service. We would love to look into this issue further with you. What is the make and model of your device? What is your ZIP Code? 

0 Likes
CRSPILOTCAR

I have same issue, with unlimited talk, text and data. My speed is so slow, it’s like I’m downloading a large file, all the time, on a 1988 compute. I’m so tired of calling and resetting my phone 30 times a month. I might have to try another carrier.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

CRSPILOTCAR wrote:

I have same issue, with unlimited talk, text and data. My speed is so slow, it’s like I’m downloading a large file, all the time, on a 1988 compute. I’m so tired of calling and resetting my phone 30 times a month. I might have to try another carrier.

Which unlimited plan are you on?

0 Likes
CRSPILOTCAR

Go unlimited

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

CRSPILOTCAR wrote:

Go unlimited

Sent from my iPhone

Go unlimited can be deprioritized from the first byte if there is congestion. if you area is congested I suggest getting on Beyond Unlimited. Of course being in a congested area will mean slower data speeds no matter what plan you're on.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

CRSPILOTCAR, 

We don't want you to leave the VZW team. Our goal is to provide you with the best speeds available to your area. Allow us to troubleshoot. What's your zip code? When did this start? Does service improve in other areas? Do you know other VZW customers with the same concern? What other services (calls, texts, etc...) are affected? What troubleshooting steps have you performed previously http://vz.to/2drnmLn

CoreyM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes