Extended
MitchLl

what does it mean when my iPhone says extended in the network name? Why can't I make a call download data or text when it says that? If it's a Prl issue, how do I get an update while on the extended network?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Extended
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Extended means you are in an area where there are towers, they just aren't Verizon towers. You're using Verizon's Extended Network of towers. You could try cycling Airplane mode to reacquire the network while in Extended service areas, this might help. Are you getting 3G?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's important that your service continues to work even if you are in an extended coverage area, MitchLl. Which iPhone model do you have? Have you download the most recent Carrier update? http://spr.ly/6585B6lXc Have you tried toggling in and out of Airplane mode as MiiHere suggested? In what zip code do you expereicne extended network?

AndreaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MitchLl

Apparently I have the latest update for iPhone 5. I was in a remote area and had a mini emergency and though I had 3-4 bars of 3G I couldn't send texts or make calls for help. I was at a high elevation south of Vernal Utah. 84078 I tried every kind of reset I could think of and never got in touch with anyone until my 4 year old son and I walked 4 miles to get a Verizon signal. I resisted calling 911 so it might have worked but if it doesn't I could have had a major problem.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Which direction did you have to walk?

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Do you have post-pay or pre-pay. With post-pay all Extended areas will work. With pre-pay, you may not get service when outside of Verizon's native signal.

With PRL it depends on what iPhone you have. With iPhone 5 and higher, it updates the list automatically when the phone is restarted from full shutdown. With 4S and earlier, you would need to dial *228 to update the PRL. Never do this with an iPhone 5 or higher.

Preferred Roaming List (PRL) FAQs | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
zNickMan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Will 1x extended, offered by third parties, still be available to Verizon users when Verizon shuts of their 1x Network next year? 

1x extended is the only coverage I get. 

0 Likes
Meezaleeza

I tried this and it didn't work. Why does the Android device have coverage but no e of the IOS devices do??

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Meezaleeza, if you're having a connection problem, we certainly want to address that together. I'd be happy to help you. You mentioned your iOS devices are without coverage. Can you share with me the city, state, and nearest intersection where you're having trouble? When you say Android devices having a connection, could you expand on what you mean?

JohnT_VZW

0 Likes
cbaabe824

so i work in chippewa township, beaver falls pa 15010 verizon's service there terrible. it's literally a deadzone. so everyday i struggle getting some kind of cell service at work. i also work in a cvs and we don't have wifi which makes it worse. not sure what i can do to help my service but any ideas would be appreciated.

0 Likes