Expired Rebate Credit Card
globallyunique

Has anyone succeeded in getting credit in any form when they didn't use their $50 rebate on a verizon visa rebate card before the expiration date?  I simply didn't realize how fast it expired.  I called the number on the card, was handed from them, to the rebate center, to customer care, then disconnected.  Called back and was handed from customer care, to rebate center, to credit card center without anyone being able to help.  Lots of talk about potentially getting a credit and that I should have studied the agreement on the rebate more closely.  Given that I've got multiple phones on the plan I pay a lot of money each month so this is more a point of principle and that they should provide good customer care..

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Expired Rebate Credit Card
Snn5
Legend

I believe it will come down to the fact that the card expired before use and you're right about  "should have studied the agreement on the rebate more closely."  Maybe you will get some credit though.  Good luck.

You'll probably hear something like, "Should they do it just for you because you have X # lines?" And, "If they did it for you they'd have to do it for everyone who let their rebate expire before use."

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Good luck.  Depends on how you look at principle.   Terms were clear, and you screwed up, so on principle, you should accept the consequences. 

0 Likes
Kurgen89
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue and got the exact same run-around for my $100 card.  A rebate should be the same as cash and not have an expiration date.  The only reason I bought the phone was because of the rebate.  I don't understand how a rebate can have an expiration date and not be renewed other than Verizon is counting on a certain percentage of people to forget.  Then depending on certain state laws, they can reclaim the abandoned property.  Now with the elimination of class action lawsuits and forced arbitration or single lawsuits in small claims court (damages limited to amount of rebate) there isn't much incentive for Verizon to change.  I've been trying to get my rebate card reinstated for sometime with no luck.  Probably just going to bail and jump to another carrier, not that they care but if enough people do that maybe there will be an economic incentive to change the rebate policies related to expiry of pre-paid cards.

ShowMeTheRebate
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the same issue and understanding.  I assumed that the rebate card would work like a "gift card" where it is illegal to take the balance!

The "funds on the card are no longer accessible" meaning they stole it from me! @#$%^!!

jamesdd925
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same here - down to the fact that Citi customer service hung up on me.  I don't understand how they expire.  If they had cut me a check this wouldn't have a been an issue. I would have deposited it.  Instead they gave me a card I didn't want and couldn't use and then they took my $500 @verizonwireless

When I got disconnected I was asking how I appeal as I have $500 tied up in these expired cards and the terms and conditions (from the site they made me sign into) that say:

"EXPIRATION DATE: Your Citi Prepaid Card expires on the date embossed on the front of the card. You may not use your Citi Prepaid Card after the expiration date. If you do not use the full amount on the card by the Card Expiration Date, you can call customer service to request a new card (the "Replacement Card"). Subject to applicable law, the available funds may be subject to Account Maintenance Fees as outlined in these Terms of Use and Fee Schedule. Subject to applicable law and for valid reasons, we reserve the right to decline to issue a replacement card."

0 Likes
PeterO

Verizon was supposed to send me my rebate in July 2014 tho in fact it did not arrive until April 2015.  Of course it was expired...   They acknowledge that it had never been used, that I had never benefited, and that they could not prove the mailing date (or my receipt date), but refuse to re-issue a new card.   Total rip-off by Verizon.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Call the Rebate Company at 1-800-457-0864.

Verizon Wireless has absolutely nothing to do with it.

If they so no then that should be it. There is an expiration date and the rules aren't the rules if exceptions are made for everyone.

0 Likes
Keepunder60

Yeah I thought it didn't have an expiration either.  Mine was a 75.00 card issued on 08/2014 and I kept it in my wallet. I realized it expired 02/2015. My error for not seeing it.  But as a Verizon customer since 2001 I figured I could get some type of credit.  Citi card visa said they can't reissue me a new one.   This is bad customer service by Verizon.  They use to bend over backwards years ago now that they are huge, they won't do anything for you.  I will be taking my 5 lines elsewhere.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

The rebate has nothing to do with Verizon Wireless. It is issued by Citi. Citi has their rules. What if a friend gave you a gift card for your birthday and it expired. Would you stop being friends with that person because the card wasn't going to be re-isued and your friend said I will not give you another card?

0 Likes