Excessive Data Overage Alerts
yy2015

My August bill ended a few days ago on 9/2 and Verizon told me I used a total of 12Gb.

My plan is 6Gb, so according to Verizon I used 6Gb extra data.

They said I need to pay $150 for last cycle (a single month), which includes $90 extra usage fee ($15/G for 6G extra) plus my regular monthly payment $60.

Now I'm switched to the new 12G plan, which is $80 per month including unlimited call and text.

If I have switched to the new plan a few days ago during last cycle, I only needed to pay $80 instead of $150.

Since the last cycle's bill was just generated a few days ago, I asked them if they can make my new plan effective date earlier, or re-generate last cycle's bill so that I only need to pay $80 (which would cover 12G data) for my last cycle.

They refused and insisted that I need to pay $150 for last cycle.

They were even threatening in the phone that if you don't pay for it, it goes to collection. (which is true but very rude)

Why can't Verzion be nice to loyal customers?...

The main problem which frustrated me a lot was that the text alerts from Verizon ONLY told me I used 2Gb extra, and I didn't received any more text messages after the 2Gb alert.

If they have been told me that I used a lot last cycle, I could switch to the new 12G plan during last cycle, and pay $80 instead of $150.

It seems they stops sending data usage alerts after 2G on purpose, counting the data usage silently, and then put a large bill in front of my face later.

I called Verzion and the customer service kept saying it's my responsibility to keep track of how much I used.

But the problem is I don't have an easy way to track my usage other than the text alerts.

I installed MyVerizon app but it crashes every time I try to open it on my iPhone.

I know I can log into the verizon website on a computer to check the usage but that's troublesome. I don't use computers a lot nowadays.

So when the text alerts stop, I really don't know how much is my usage!

Later, I requested to talk to a manager, the manager even hung up the phone while I'm still talking.... (yes that's the customer service I received...)

In my opinion, Verizon should at least send data over usage alerts for every extra GB, since they charge $15 for every extra GB, so for every extra amount they charge, they should at least send an alert.

I want to check to see if other people had similar experience/frustration?

What kind of over usage alerts do other people get?

I think Verizon shouldn't hide the actual usage and abruptly charge people $$$ when the cycle ends...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Excessive Data Overage Alerts
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why may I ask, did you not sign into your MyVerizon account online after receiving the first 2 GB over notification and change your plan then? Why didn't you get an alert that you were close to your data limit?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

Once your billing cycle closes it's closed, nothing you can do. Learn and take responsibility, don't blame.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

now turn on safety mode and you don't need to worry about this again.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

I called Verzion and the customer service kept saying it's my responsibility to keep track of how much I used.  That is totally correct. 

But the problem is I don't have an easy way to track my usage other than the text alerts.  There are multiple ways to track your data usage.

I installed MyVerizon app but it crashes every time I try to open it on my iPhone.  Try uninstalling and reinstalling it.

I know I can log into the verizon website on a computer to check the usage but that's troublesome. I don't use computers a lot nowadays. Is it more troublesome than paying triple your regular bill?  It takes a couple of minutes to log in and check your usage and make a plan adjustment if needed...

So when the text alerts stop, I really don't know how much is my usage!  You can also call #DATA to check - it should be one of the first entries under your contacts on your Verizon phone.

Your phone should also have a data meter that you can set that will tell you how much cellular and how much wifi you are using.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

One can also sign into their MyVerizon account online through their phone's browser and use the mobile site or force the desktop view. I know that is what I do if I need to access my account on those rare occasions I need to while out and about.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes