Enough is enough - take a lesson from Netflix
alcid
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here’s a quote from their press release: “Customers asked, and today Verizon Wireless delivered an industry first,” said Tami Erwin, vice president and chief marketing officer for Verizon Wireless.

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/06/pr2012-06-11e.html

Everyone I know that has Verizon or any other carrier has NOT asked for shared data. In fact everyone I know would rather have unlimited data as we all did about a year ago.

Let’s face it, it’s not about listening to customers or giving customers what they want. It’s another ploy for Verizon to get more money from customers & increase profits – nothing wrong with that, just call it what it is. But Verizon should take a lesson from Netflix. They tried to give customers something they didn’t want (separate streaming & DVD by mail) and customers responded by canceling the service and eventually Netflix went back to one account. In the meantime they lost customers and alienated investors confidence. Same thing will happen here.

For me, as a Verizon customer & investor, I’ve had enough of the shell game and I’ll be taking my business elsewhere. Everyone should do the same.

Labels (1)
Re: Enough is enough - take a lesson from Netflix
mrjoshd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Totally agree! I want Verizon to quote and show me the customers who said "I'd rather have something stupid, like a capped shared data plan over my unlimited service". Who said that?

I think what really happened was this: CEO said: "You know what? I would like to have more my customers' money. I also feel like it's time to alienate my loyal customers with unlimited by taking it away from them". Thanks for nothing Verizon. You suck.

icerabbitje
Enthusiast - Level 3

Many people did ask / inquire why a family share plan can have n voice minutes and y text minutes to share, but can't have a pool of z GB of data? rather than paying $30 for data per device. Some kind of a value pool where you pay $50 for 5GB (MiFi rate) to be shared among your family.

Of course VZW took it upon themselves to turn that per device charge of $30 for unlimited data or $30 for 2GB into ... hold your breath $50 / 1 GB shared or $60 / 2 GB.

With two iPhones under the most recent share plan ( 700min share, no texting ) your $60 data dollars ($30 for 2GB each) now net you 2 GB.

And, VZW has happily charged $10/GB before on plans, but now it starts off with $50/GB (1GB) then $30/GB (2GB) up to $10/GB (10GB) and of course $15/GB overages.

Brilliant!

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Yes, there were customers that asked for family shared data plans.  There are customers on other carriers' forums that want this, too.  I don't think that they envisioned the pricing that VZW has come up with, but the demand was there.

mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

people have been asking for years on this forum for shared data

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

mrjoshd wrote:

Totally agree! I want Verizon to quote and show me the customers who said "I'd rather have something stupid, like a capped shared data plan over my unlimited service". Who said that?

I think what really happened was this: CEO said: "You know what? I would like to have more my customers' money. I also feel like it's time to alienate my loyal customers with unlimited by taking it away from them". Thanks for nothing Verizon. You suck.

i've watched these forums for two years and can tell you that there are many threads where people have asked for this. they want the cool smart phones, but don't want to pay $30 each for the data. they believe that they either wont use data, or that they will always use wifi at home or work when they do want to use data (i totally think they are wrong, but that's how they feel and that's another thread). here is a way for a family of 3 to get 3 iphones on a plan and share 1 gb (i think that's absurd, but planty of people are currently on the old 300 mb plan so 3 could theoretically share 1 gb) of data for $170 per month, which is WAY cheaper than the minimum required plan for 3 smartphones currently (about $220-250 depending on your minutes and texting options).

alcid
Enthusiast - Level 2

The only reason you would ask for a shared data plan is if you currently have a limited plan. I'm sure if VZ asked customers what the want, everyone would ask for unlimited data (as we all had a year ago).

So don't pretend it's what customers want. It's what VZ thinks will maximize profits. Nothing wrong with a company doing that, just don't insult your customers.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

wrong. people asked before the tiered plans came out

they wanted a plan that was less then $30 per phone, with minimal data

many people claimed they do not want/need/use data with a smartphone

anyone thats been on the boards for a while has seen it

0 Likes
alcid
Enthusiast - Level 2

So you would rather have a limited shared data plan instead of an unlimited data plan for the same price? I guess VZ is counting on more customers like you.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

me? no way

but many, many people have asked in the past

i prefer the $30 unlimited plan per phone

but due to complaints the tiered plan came out, and now this

0 Likes