Ending my contact early
Joshbull623

I was wondering where online I could find the amount to cancel my lines so I could go about buying the remainder of my contract out to get out of Verizons Iron Grip. I know it will be pricey so I plan to do it utilizing my tax returns and paycheck from then which should be around feb. I hope its not something I have to call for because I cannot stand trying to call, its hard enough to find the right number to call let alone get a actual person on the phone, it drives me crazy these automated systems. Regardless Its important I end my contract as soon as possible, waiting it out is not a viable option for me, the short term with my tax return I should be able to do it however the month to month payments are out of control and I cannot financially do it anymore, at least not for the duration of my contract. I have been with Verizon for over 4 years and have been treated like garbage both to my face and on the phone and have been taken advantage of so many times it kind of makes me sick to my stomach how naive and stupid I have been. I know verizon likes to try to convince people to stay so I am going to make a list and if there isn't anything you can do regarding the list, don't bother muttering a single word about staying, I have had this conversation over the phone and it always ends in a 'too bad, so sad' anyways.

1. I am a military member and have a supposed 15% discount. I say supposed because ever since I got the discount my verizon surcharges and what not have magically adjusted to make up for the discount. In simple terms my month to month payment has never actually changed. Even better to squeeze even more money out of me verizon is forcing the closing of my discount unless I prove once again I am still in the military. Isn't a problem, kinda  hastle to get the paperwork and process everything again, but its enlightening to how it treats its military members.

2. From late 2011 to 2012 I was deployed to afghanistan. I went to two different stores one in North Carolina outside my base where military affairs should be known to verizon employees there as well as one in NY by my home on pre deployment leave. The discussion was what I do with my account. Being rather new in the military I wasn't aware that upon showing of my orders to afghanistan I could either freeze my account without extending my contract or paying or simply cancel it all together. I asked in detail what I had to do for my account and explained I was deploying. Both times I was told that the only thing I was allowed to do was suspend my account for 3 months which ended up reactivating during my deployment and I got hit with a nice 200$ bill a wonderful surprise before I could resuspend it. I found out later when I came back that I could have showed my orders and suspended it for no extension or fee or gotten out of it. I went to the store when I got back and explained my situation and was insisted that I could no longer provide my orders for any kind of refund or compensation or to get out of my contract which was another lie to my face. Now I am not completely ignorant, I should have done more research and got a grown up to help me, I like to think of myself as a man especially serving in the military and having combat toured and everything but the unfortunate truth is I am still quite young and inexperienced and was taken advantage of. The fact that multiple verizon employees would take advantage of military personnel like that speaks volumes of what it thinks about its customers and service members.

3. Straight from point 2, since I was lied to about freezing my account my contract was extended. So instead of coming back to a eligible upgrade I should have legally been allowed my contract extended and I was still the 6 month deployment length away from a upgrade. The nice gentlemen at the verizon store talked me into buying out my grandfathered unlimited data plan to get a new phone contract for an upgrade I should have had in the first place. Your company and employees make me sick. Again I ultimately was the one who hit the yes button but I didn't know enough and was taken advantage of again by your wonderfully horrible company.

4. Back in 2010 I was in school in california for the marine corps. My brother who has a line on my plan lived in NY literally a country span away. He got a new phone because he broke his old one and was suppose to send in the old one to not incur a 200$ fee. He was arrested and I got a nice surprise my next bill with a bill over 400$ (yes I pay around 200$ a month normally, another reason I am getting out). As the primary account holder I didn't rate to get so much as a notification or email explaining my brothers activity of the account. I called to explain my brother was in jail in new york and I was in the military serving in california and I was told "I am sorry, I really don't know what to tell you" <--- by customer service. Well I sure as hell didn't know what to do either so I got to pay that wonderful bill and 2 others like it. I am not saying this was really a fualt of verizon but its a wonderful example of the way customers are treated.

5. My last couple bills my brothers basic flip phone has been a couple bucks more than my smart phone..........another example of verizon magic surcharge and fee manipulations. Oh and I did in fact check to make sure he didnt use data or make any long distance calls and what not and he made a couple 411 calls the last bill but the one before that, nothing, absolutely no reason. Why the hell is a basic phone line costing more than a smart phone. Ill tell you, verizon makes up their own charges.

Now as far as prices and surcharges/fees go, I have no doubt that the other phone companies practice in this as well. I can't say the grass is greener by any means. But keep in mind I am leaving allot because of my bill but primarily for the way I have been treated throughout the years. Its sickening and unacceptable. So far sprint has treated me respectfully and I cannot wait to get out from under verizon.

I need to know how to get the total amount to buy out my lines and get out of my contract (one I should have legally been able to get out of at one point in the first place) and if there are any negative effects on my credit since I am terminating a contract earlier than I have agreed to. I don't really know how that works. Thanks.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Ending my contact early
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Call customer service or go to the corporate store to cancel your account. You can't cancel online.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

There's a link at the bottom of the page for the Customer Agreement which states that if you last purchased a smartphone when you signed your two-year contract, the ETF is $350 minus $10 for each full month of your contract term that you complete (basic phones are $175 minus $5 for each full month of the contract term completed).  Cancellations are effective on the last day of that month's billing cycle and you're responsible for all charges incurred until then.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm so sorry about your experience over the past few years Joshbull623. We truly respect and appreciate  the job you do for this country. We dont want to lose you because care about your service. In order to discuss your account and discuss cancellation, we will need to speak with you. You can send us a private message here with your name and number. You can also contact as Ann154 and tikibar1 advised. Our number is 1-800-922-0204 or *611 from mobile phone.

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

- If you want to send a private message, you'll first need to send a Follow request (in the upper right-hand corner of their profile page) to that they'll have to approve.  They, in turn, will need to send you a Follow request that you'll have to approve (you can find any that you've received by clicking the red Actions button at the top of the page, it looks like a check mark).  Once you both are Following each other, then you can send them a Direct Message.

0 Likes
tjrob
Enthusiast - Level 1

Feel your pain and we are planning to do the same thing. We discussed it in our house heavily and came to that choice. Our contracts end separately a year apart. SHARED LINE BUT EACH LINE HAS A CONTRACT!!! We have been with these ppl for 12yrs and we pay a ridiculous bill but not with added extras..no data, no internet, and we have basic phones, not smart phones. We are paying $130+ bucks a month! Called numerous times and their only suggestion was to drop our second line. Yep, just two lines folks and  struggle to pay dearly for nothing really. Meanwhile ppl we know that have less money than we do walk around with better phones that do unlimited stuff and pay 1/2 the price and DON'T really have any complaints.

Yep we will be buying out ASAP!.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello to you tjrob!

The last thing I want is for you to leave the VZW family! I completely understand that every penny counts and I want to ensure we evaluate every available option for you. I've followed you. Please accept my follow and follow me back. Then send me a Direct Message with your concerns. Here's more info on how to Direct Message: http://vz.to/JHSJ3J

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

- You'll need to send a Follow request (in the upper right-hand corner of their profile page) to .  Once you both are Following each other, then you can send them a Direct Message.

0 Likes
tjrob
Enthusiast - Level 1

ok i am here. bare with the spaces of log in pleaseSmiley Happy

0 Likes