Emergency Location Services
davisonj13

I am trying to find out what Verizon's plans or scheduled timeframe is for when they will adopt the Emergency Location Service in Android. As a first responder, this feature would enhance location services to the community and provide for services from public safety to be quicker.

http://www.eena.org/download.asp?item_id=209

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Emergency Location Services
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

How is this different from the location services already on the Android devices?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

I thought that all new phones and some going back to 2011 are E911 capable and enabled GPS when 911 was dialed.

0 Likes
davisonj13

It is my understanding that currently the location services on our cellphones no matter what carrier we use, only gets 911 operators within about 200 meters depending on the pinging of the closest tower. ELS on android which I understand has been being used in Europe, actually sends your exact location to the 911 center using Google maps. I was told that this feature was not available here in the US. If this is untrue, I need the information on how we can begin using this feature within our own 911 center.

0 Likes
davisonj13

Please see my latest response, because my understanding is that feature needed to be negotiated with Google, much like the Europeans have. I just want to make sure that we are getting an exact location, not one that is based on the nearest tower that your phone pings off of.

0 Likes