Early termination fees 9 months into 24 for 2 devices and service?
asherah11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon made an error on my initial promotional credits that just showed up after 9 months and they say they can't do anything about it, that the 'error' caught up with itself and will cancel this month moving forward. Not the stellar customer service I have raved about for so long....so SO LONG Verizon.

My question is: I have two lines, 9 months into 24 month contract, and 9 months into device payment, $345 on one, $238 on the other. What are the additional charges for early termination on the service? T-Mobile and Sprint will pay up to $650 per line to switch, and I'm hoping that will cover them both, without owing anything to Verizon, besides current bills owed.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Early termination fees 9 months into 24 for 2 devices and service?
rcschnoor
Legend

Are you sure you have a 2yr contract AND device payments? It is unusual if you do, because when you purchase discounted phones in exchange for signing a 2 yr contract you are not normally given the option to spread the cost of the phone out over 2 years. You are expected to pay the full discounted cost up front. If you purchase phones at full retail with payments spread out over 2 yrs, you are not locked into a 2 yr service contract.

If you only have 2 lines of service and each line has a device payment attached to it, I would find it odd if both lines are ALSO under a 2 yr service contract. I would assume you ONLY have the balances left on the phone payments.

Keep in mind that with these offers that providers run, the phone balance will normally be due LONG before you get reimbursed from your new provider and if you wait to pay Verizon the balance of those phone payments until you receive your compensation, your credit rating may take a hit AND Verizon may blacklist those devices. If you are required to turn in those phones in order to get the promotion and your new provider finds out the phones are blacklisted, you may never receive your compensation. Something to keep in mind.

View solution in original post

rcschnoor
Legend

Are you sure you have a 2yr contract AND device payments? It is unusual if you do, because when you purchase discounted phones in exchange for signing a 2 yr contract you are not normally given the option to spread the cost of the phone out over 2 years. You are expected to pay the full discounted cost up front. If you purchase phones at full retail with payments spread out over 2 yrs, you are not locked into a 2 yr service contract.

If you only have 2 lines of service and each line has a device payment attached to it, I would find it odd if both lines are ALSO under a 2 yr service contract. I would assume you ONLY have the balances left on the phone payments.

Keep in mind that with these offers that providers run, the phone balance will normally be due LONG before you get reimbursed from your new provider and if you wait to pay Verizon the balance of those phone payments until you receive your compensation, your credit rating may take a hit AND Verizon may blacklist those devices. If you are required to turn in those phones in order to get the promotion and your new provider finds out the phones are blacklisted, you may never receive your compensation. Something to keep in mind.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you cancel early, you also lose any promotional credits you haven't received yet and you will be responsible for paying the full remaining balance of the device payment agreement not the post credit amount.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

asherah11
Enthusiast - Level 2

rcschnoor, you are correct. Thank you for your answer. I would only owe any current bill through the billing cycle and the unpaid balances on my two devices.

0 Likes
asherah11
Enthusiast - Level 2

from asherah11​: Issue resolved after talking to four customer service reps. Someone finally got it right and gave real customer service!

0 Likes