ETA to get new phone cheap
electricsole
I am currently a Verizon customer and my plan is not due for upgrade for another year.  I want to get the BlackBerry Storm 2 when it comes out in the fall.  I don't want to pay the expensive retail prices for the phone.  What if I do this:  Cancel my contract when the phone comes out.  Pay the early termination fee.  Then sign up for a new contract and get the Storm 2 for probably $200.00.  My question is if I cancel my contract and pay the Early Termination Fee will my credit be affected?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: ETA to get new phone cheap
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

ETF: Early Termination Fee.

But no, you don't have to lie. You can say you want a new phone at the 1yr pricing under the Lost/Stolen/Damaged program and they'll give it to you.  This is a type of exception they use for customer's who are limited on upgrade/replacement options and want a new phone without paying full retail. 

So you wouldn't have to wait for your upgrade in July 2010. You would just start a new one year contract when the Storm 2 comes out. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

No, your credit wouldn't be affected.

But that particular way of doing it wouldn't be very cost effective for you. Sure the retail value of the Storm 2 is probably going to be between $400-$500, but you wouldn't necessarily have to settle for that price. You can request the 1yr pricing under Verizon's Lost/Stolen/Damaged program, you'd qualify if you weren't eligible for upgrade and didn't have insurance. The 1yr pricing should be under $300. Usually it's only $70-$100 more than 2yr. 

The ETF would probably be $150+. So with the 2yr price of the Storm 2 it would be $200 + $150 =$350+. Not including all the hassle of actually disconnecting your account and losing all of your account tenure and usage history, paying a new activation fee and having to go thru a extremely high first bill.

So getting the 1yr pricing would be a heck of a lot less stress for you and you'd be saving $50-$100 over cancelling. 

But of course we won't be absolutely sure until the full pricing details are released for the Storm 2.

0 Likes
electricsole
hmmm I am not sure I understand what you are saying.  I do see that the ETA would be a hassel and more expensive but what about the lost/stollen thing?  Are you saying I lie and say my phone was stolen and then I can get a 1 year upgrade deal?  Right now I am not due for upgrade till July 2010.
0 Likes
electricsole
Oh and so you know I do not have insurance on my phone.
0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

ETF: Early Termination Fee.

But no, you don't have to lie. You can say you want a new phone at the 1yr pricing under the Lost/Stolen/Damaged program and they'll give it to you.  This is a type of exception they use for customer's who are limited on upgrade/replacement options and want a new phone without paying full retail. 

So you wouldn't have to wait for your upgrade in July 2010. You would just start a new one year contract when the Storm 2 comes out. 

0 Likes
electricsole
Oh sweet thats awesome!!  Thanks for the information.  :smileyhappy:
0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3
You're welcome. Good luck and have fun.
0 Likes
risu
Contributor - Level 3

Chilie, quick question.

Wouldn't going this route put their current phone on the negative file?

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3
It would only get put on the negative file if you actually reported the phone as Lost/Stolen, or filing an insurance claim for this reason. The process of getting the phone at the 1yr pricing for the Lost/Stolen/Damaged program doen't automatically cause either one of those triggers. It's just a phone at a discounted price, it wouldn't affect the previous ESN at all.
0 Likes
mochasoul05

Will this course of action work if I have insurance on my phone? I want the droid, and I am not eligible for a new phone until August of 2010. I to was going to cancel my contract, pay the $125...then get the phone at a discount. What should I do?

0 Likes