Re: Does the LG EnV Touch require a data plan?
twinky

I am shocked to read this info about data plans for env touch. I got a new phone 2 years ago and was told that I had no choice but to pay for a Data plan. Up to that point, I had a block on all of our phones so no one could accidently access the internet.

I was forced to pay a $9.95 a month for the last two years. I do not now or ever need a data plan. I have used internet on rare occasions only because I know its there...but I feel ripped off!!!!! 

I was at the store today looking at phones because all three of our are up for renewal. The phones offered without a huge $30.00 data plan were pathetic and there were only 4. I am hugely disappointed and dont want to resign right now.

So have I been paying for something I didnt have too all this time?

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

twinky wrote:

So have I been paying for something I didnt have too all this time?

No, just the past few months.

0 Likes
mykl376

I got my Touch in July 09, and as far as I can tell, don't have a data plan.  But, my plan included unlimited data.  When I check on new plans/phones, I get this message:

"You currently have NATIONWIDE CONNECT 450 MINUTES $69.99 1108 Minutes plan. Your current calling plan is no longer offered. After you change your plan today, you will not be able to change back to any discontinued plans."

So, if I upgrade to a Super Duper Smart phone, can I keep my unlimited data when I do sign up for the data plan that I know is required on new phones?  Been with Verizon about 10 years.  Would be nice to have some sort of loyalty reward for actually staying this long.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

You will lose the data plan, the data plan you have is for multi-media phones and is not compatible with smart phones. But currently they are running a special that gets you double(4gb instead of 2gb) for the 2gb price, $30 if you get a 4g phone. You should also have available one last "loyalty' credit of $25 or $50(I'm not sure with your plan.). New 450 min. plan $39.99, unlimited texting $20, 4gb data $30.

0 Likes
mykl376

Wow, fast reply, thanks.  I was a little worried about 2GB, but if they're offering 4GB for $30 that would be pleanty I'm sure.  I didn't want to do the $50 plan, but I wanted more than just 2GB of data.  If you're going to unleash super fast 4G speeds, then I'm going to use it, stream Netflix movies and Pandora.  Thanks again.

0 Likes
Elethia04

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse by asking the question about a data plan being Mandatory to activate a LG EnV Touch. I really would like to know as I have my old one still around and I am looking into downgrading from my Droid Pro to the Touch since I remember back when I had used it that there was no data plan mandatory to use it. I recently just moved and in the process of looking for a job and cutting back on unnecessary luxuries, like the droid and it's ability to go on line, when I have a perfectly capable desktop at home to do all that. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Elethia04

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

here's my response from a previous thread.

Call Verizon to confirm that they can put a data block on that phone. I'm pretty sure they can,at least the "feature" that we have they can. If they can,  order it online you need to choose the data plan. once you receive and activate it and then call them and have a data block put on it. This removes the data plan, but you will also not be able to use the pay per use functionality.

I've done this on the "feature" or "multi-media" phones on my account none of which have a data plan. We have the enV Touch, Samsung Reality and the Samsung Rogue. I know this can be done with the Chocolate Touch and env3 as well, just never asked about the LG Slate.

On edit: Do you mean the LG env3 in Slate Blue? If so, you can do this. Just call and have them confirm/mark your account before ordering it. I've heard others have had some CSR's tell them they can't do this, if you get one that tells you this I'd hang up and call again.

0 Likes
5p

This is very troubling, I was going to get my Son an LG Env Touch like mine b/c i don't have the data plan, but because it said data plan, I wouldn't let him have it.  There should be a statement manatory, b/c he would have had a Env Touch a long time ago....So not right.  So now I am going to see if I can get him a upgrade.

0 Likes
Ken_H

Would you be able to help me online switch my 2 EnvTouchs to the 700 family plan and kill the data plan?

0 Likes