Re: Does the LG EnV Touch require a data plan?
arcy_67

Seems to be yet another contradiction here...

As of today 9/20/2011 - the enV Touch is available on the Verizon website as a CPO device - free with a 2 year contract.  HOWEVER when you try to select the phone the system is saying the a data plan of $10 of more is needed with this phone.  A call to the Verizon Customer Service confirmed this. When I mentioned what I read on this thread about placing the data block and eliminating the data plan requirement - he clearly said that is not an option.

SO - what's going on here?? Does this requirement change on a daily basis? Does it change depending on who you speak to? 

@DionM - can you cite a policy number or something else I (and others) can refer to? 

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

Here you go:

" If your representative doesn't know about this, the policy can be viewed in Infomanager article number 52248." per Christina W at VZW

0 Likes
Duluth2000

As of 9/24/2011 no one seems to kown about or how to fix it.

If as you say  the LG enV® TOUCH is a basic phone I should be able to switch to the Daily prepay plans. Does not having a data package also apply to the "Daily Prepaid" plan too.  I had 4 service reps tell me the was "kinda" like a smart phone that's why I had to take the Montlhy prepaid plan.  They also said they don't how to look up the Infomanager article number 52248.  Spent over 2 hours trying to get them to look at your information....this is nuts...the Data package wasn't required 2 years ago thats why I got the phone.  All I could get out of them was the "system won't let me do it"

Been with Verizon 8 years but I guess its time to start looking new phone service

0 Likes
cm_aranda
Enthusiast - Level 3

The policy changes based on who you speak to because many reps are misinformed, the Env Touch is a multimedia device and as of November last yeah all phones that fall under the "Multimedia Media" Device list are supposed to require a $10 data package MultiMedia phones would be Env 3, Env Touch, Alias II. All of the old cool phones Verizon made before they crammed smart phones down our mouth. However if you call and talk to enough people someone will take the data feature off for you. If you can't do it yourself, go to an Indirect agent, a Verizon store that is not Corporate, most of the employees at those stores have no clue what they are doing and if you explain he situation they will go to battle for you on the phones with customer service and they may have more luck with getting the data feature off.

0 Likes
ghv0923

so would that have meant dat u cudnt use it as prepaid either?

0 Likes
nuron1231

Hannah I hope you truly did have your problem solved and that wasn't just slapped on by a Verizon employee. If the EnV Touch doesn't require a data package then I want $240 back from Verizon. I was consistently told online, on the phone, and in person two years ago that it was required with no exceptions. And my protesting that I only wanted to use it for texting and as a basic phone was explained away as it is not a basic phone - it is a so called "feature phone" which does require at least the $10 a month data package but not the more expensive packages required by the smartphones. I have been a lukewarm AlltellboughtbyVerizon customer for many years and can tell you their communication and consistency is lousy. It seems deliberately designed to confused and mislead. The best I can say is that from what I hear all the other carriers are just as bad or worse. We are their captives if we want cell phones. Do yourself a favor - print out every emplyee response from this subject and carry it into a store prepared.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

Two years ago, the enV Touch did require a data package, but since Verizon went to Smart phones and Basic phones the phones formally known as multi-media phones no longer require a data package. You need to call verizon and have them put a "data block" on the phone.

0 Likes
bmwisme

I have had so many reps in the past tell me that the system wont let them do it!  That is not always true!  They have said that to me also and I ask to speak to their supervisor and they seem to be able to do it!  I also found out that u have to find the right one that knows how and will do it!  I have even had reps hang up on me cuz they wont do it!  And when I call back I make sure they know that I was hung up on!  I have had verizon service now for 8 years total and my son had an enV touch and I had a data package on it cuz I thought I had so I put the cheapest data package on it and put blocks on the phone cuz I didnt want him to use it.  The next time I had talked to a rep she removed the data package cuz I had all the blocks on it and she said he didnt need it.  If someone tells me they cant do something I ask to talk to their supervisor or hang up call right back and talk to someone else that seems to know what they r doing.  Sometimes I have done this 3 or 4 times.  Its crazy but some of the reps either dont know how to do it or they just dont know if they can and they will insist on saying that they cannot do it that the system wont let them.  I suggest though if u find someone that knows and u dont have to have the data package, BLOCK everything that will let them get on the web and buy things or it will cost u alot more money then the data package.  But know they have something coming out that they will inform u on if u r about to go over the data usage u have.  But I hear that that might not happen for atleast a year.  Also take names and document everybody and what they say so u can tell the next person what is going on if they need to know.  Oh and another thing.  Make sure they note ur account about everything u talk about too!  And dont forget to get their names.  Believe me it matters.  They do know who u talk to and it is good that u can tell then who u have talked to also. 

0 Likes
bmwisme

That is not necessarily true!  My boys have these phones and I dont have any data package on them.  And I also block all web and any way they can charge data usage so that I dont get any suprises on the phone bills. 

0 Likes
bmwisme

They did have it that u had to have a data plan but then they changed it to you didnt have to have it anymore.  I am not sure when but that is what I was told.  And u r right!  There are some reps that r misinformed or just dont know what is going on.  It is confusing!  Be thankful u didnt have to switch to AT&T.  I have family that did and they are very disappointed in AT&T.  When u switched to verizon from Alltel u didnt have to start over on a new plan and end up with 2 bills to pay.  Some of my family members had to start over with AT&T.  That meant AT&T closed there Alltel service and opened one under their service.  So my family members had the Alltel bill to pay Still seperate from the new AT&T bill and when they started the AT&T bill they had another month in advance on that bill to pay also!  If u can understand what I am trying to explain, it really sucked.  My mom ended up with a cheap phone that didnt work and with Alltel she was up for a new one in about 1 month.  Well when I called there to complain about the phone she got they did say that she was eligible for a new upgrade. They had given back there upgrades.  Atleast that was nice.  But I do believe no matter how much I have to complain about verizon, they r still the best that I have found.  My son changed to a new carrier cuz it was spose to be so great and then it ended up to be worse.  Be careful of hidden issues, ect.

0 Likes