Does cracked screen void warranty for other issues?
musicman505
Enthusiast - Level 2

My daughter cracked her screen last summer.  Her phone has worked fine ever since until 2 days ago.  The power button is malfunctioning.  Verizon states that since the screen is cracked, the warranty is void for everything on that phone.  I have read the extended warranty and cannot see anywhere where it states after any accident the warranty is void.  It does say that accidents are not covered.  That I understand.  So the cracked screen is not covered, but the malfunctioning button is not related to the crack.  The phone has worked perfectly for 6 months.

I called back when the screen cracked, and was never told the warranty would be void from then on.  Verizon continued to charge me for the extended warranty.   When I called today about the power button, I was told the warranty is void.

What is the deal?  I have been a customer on a family plan for at least 10 years.  I will not renew my contract because of this.

If the contract terms include the warranty becoming void after any accident, it should say so.  It does not.  I guess Verizon no longer values it's long term customers.  As soon as all our contracts are up, we're out.

Has anyone had experience with this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Does cracked screen void warranty for other issues?
smitty23521
Contributor - Level 1

Since the device has physical damage, the device is no longer covered under warranty. If the line has insurance, you would need to file an insurance claim. If Verizon were to send out a warranty replacement device, you would be charged a $299.00 (smartphone) or $99.00 (basic phone) device damage fee.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Take it to Apple for out of warranty repair. It's cheaper.

musicman505
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found almost the same text as what I wrote from right here on this forum from last May.

Found in a google search:  "Where exactly in the Extended Warranty guidelines does it state that if there is physical damage to the phone, that your warranty is voided? There is a hairline crack in my screen right now, that is not affecting my phone's touch capability, but Verizon is telling me that you won't honor my warrany to fix/replace my phone's speaker and sound capabilities. I couldn't care less about the crack(s) in my screen, I just need the volume/speaker to work so that when people call me they can hear me. Please give me the specific section in the Terms & Conditions that backs up what you are trying to enforce. Thank you."

0 Likes
musicman505
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Smitty, the warranty should clearly state that so us dummies don't continue to pay the monthly fee for a warranty that is no longer valid. 

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

If you have the Verizon Extended Warranty, it extends the regular manufacturer's warranty for defects (not physical damage).

http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/glossary.html#Extended%20Warranty

Extended Warranty A warranty that covers electronic malfunctions and manufacturer defects. If you have an eligible defective device, you’ll receive refurbished or reconditioned to "like new" equipment. You have 30 days from the date of activation of a new device to add this feature.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/pdfs/terms_conditions/Extended_Limited_Warranty_or_Service_Contract_0...

IV. WHAT THIS WARRANTY OR SERVICE CONTRACT DOES NOT COVER:

A. Defects or damage resulting from use of the Product in other than its normal and customary manner;

VII. YOUR OBLIGATIONS UNDER THIS WARRANTY OR SERVICE CONTRACT:

You must use the Product in a normal way; you must protect against further damage to the Product if

there is a covered defect; you must follow the Product’s instruction manual