Does anyone else object to entering a PIN before talking to a human?
FRAWIL87
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm really tired of having to enter a PIN number before Verizon will let me talk with a human being. If I'm driving I can't work with a temp PIN being sent via text. Plus....how does this PIN protect me? If someone steel my phone Verizon is send the thief the temporary pin to freely use. I was on the phone today driving between appointments and I was not able to add data to my plan because the guy on the phone could not or would not access my account without a PIN and I didn't want to pull over for him to text it to me.

The highest and best use of time is when a company is talking with one of their customers on the phone or in person.....and Verizon won't even let me talk to a person without this PIN.

Please turn it off

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Does anyone else object to entering a PIN before talking to a human?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is this a prepaid or postpaid account? All postpaid accounts should have a billing account pin. It usually starts out as the last four digits of the account owner's social security number, but you can change it permanently. I don't have an issue with providing my pin when calling customer service.

Perhaps you should try to stop the vehicle in a safe location to make such a call if you need to interact with the phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
FRAWIL87
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi Ann,

Thank you for your response....it is a regular account that I've had for 28 years. While I know somethings require a PIN it would seem to me that Verizon should let us actually talk with a person during which we can be verified using other information. I do have a hands free phone system so I should not need to pull over to ask a question or change my plan......it should be simpler than having to remember a PIN and then having to key it in. If you only call Verizon a couple of times a year I'm not going to remember the PIN since I do need a unique PIN for Bank, Investment accounts, ATM and other things I'm usually at my desk and can look that information up from a secure password manager. Does not make sense when needing to "talk" with Verizon while on the road.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I usually don't have to call customer service once a year and I still remember my pin for Verizon Wireless and I have used the same pin for at least ten years or more now.

You can say "agent" when the phone automation asks why you are calling. That should get you to a person who can then ask you for the pin number.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

FRAWIL87- your account security is our number one priority. A way to verify your account is by the Account PIN aka Billing Password. We know how busy life can be and how convenient it should be to change a plan. You can also change your plan on My Verizon. For more information regarding the Account PIN, please click here: http://spr.ly/65838Y3iD . If you do not remember your Account PIN you can reset it by referring to number 6 in the link provided.

YeseniaV_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
ERILEA72
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree with you! Verizon requiring their customers to provide a pin before even speaking with someone is absolutely ridiculous. The logic behind this make ZERO sense! I will be leaving verizon ASAP!

jcbuckster
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree completely and went through this on the phone with Verizon over the weekend. 

Today I walked into a Verizon brick and mortor store to look at the new Samsung Galaxy S10+ to compare to my Note 8. I just wanted to see how it compared in size. Before they would show it to me they wanted my phone number - no problem. Then they asked for my PIN so they could look at my account. I declined saying that I just wanted to see the actual phone and wasn't there to upgrade today. They kept asking me for my PIN. Eventually they showed me the phone (it's slightly smaller than my Note 😎 and I said thanks before walking out. They won't be getting my business at that store.

When I log into my account online I use my password.  

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

@jcbuckster wrote:

I agree completely and went through this on the phone with Verizon over the weekend. 

Today I walked into a Verizon brick and mortor store to look at the new Samsung Galaxy S10+ to compare to my Note 8. I just wanted to see how it compared in size. Before they would show it to me they wanted my phone number - no problem.  

I suppose I don't understand the problem. Are the phones not out on display in your Verizon store? When I go to a Verizon store to look at phones, they ask for my phone number when I walk in the store. I let them know I am just browsing and don't need to talk to anyone. I then walk up to the display and am able to hold and play with the phone in question.

Not everyone is a Verizon customer and has a phone number/pin. You do not need to have a pin in order to look at the phones in a Verizon store. Very rarely do I even give my phone number when I go into a Verizon store. This does not prevent me from looking at the phones available for sale in the store.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jcbuckster, 

We want to ensure you that we value your privacy and security. It is never our intention to make you feel any different. In our store locations, they do access your account details so they can make the best recommendations for you. If you are shopping for a phone or even just looking, they can give you the best option and check your account for any offers you might have available. Our apologies if this practice made you uncomfortable. Are there any additional questions or concerns we can address for you?

JenelleR_VZW

0 Likes
ChrisKimm

I went to the link provided, but none of the subject lines spoke to the question.

My son thinks I am being unnecessarily cautious when I change my pin number after giving it to an agent.

Is it a good idea to change my pin number after speaking to an employee? Please, no corporate speak.

Thank you

0 Likes