Re: Does Verizon let you upgrade before the 2 year contract is up?
Mitchieboi
Enthusiast - Level 3

lol I understand that's not the way it is done.  I was asking WHY don't they change it?!  I didn't opt for insurance because generally I take good care of my devices.  The cost of insurance would have been $196 over the two year period, in which I could find a good working phone for that amount to get me through the 24 months.

Also, I must clarify that I'm not complaining about a contract that I didn't understand.  I understand the contract, but was more wanting to get people's thoughts on if it would be fair to allow the early upgrade.  Snn5 had a great response in which I get.  "If everyone could upgrade early, Verizon would have a harder time with that financial planning as nothing would be certain and its just easier to stay uniform than trying to be that flexible."

Mitchieboi
Enthusiast - Level 3

If I upgrade now. let's say the contract would extend until the end of July 2017.  Your comment on

"If you want Verizon to start a contract when the old one ends if they allowed early upgrades, there would be people on Verizon who would be locked in for the next 3, 4 5 or more years."

Shouldn't that be up to the customer if they want to be locked in for that long? I would definitely have opted for my contract to be for 2.5 years when my phone broke.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

So even after we have explained WHY (to answer your question) you still try to beat a dead horse.

You remarked that T-Mobile let's you upgrade whenever you want. This is true but they DO NOT have contracts or subsidies. You purchase your device at full retail cost and spread the payments out over 24 months. In fact, VZW has a program like this. It is called Edge. Now you may have been eligible for Early Edge but you usually have to turning in your current phone in good working order. Admittedly you stated that you ripped the power button out instead of taking it to VZW. By my calculations, when you did this 2 months ago, VZW was allowing people to enroll in insurance during the open enrollment period. Had you visited a store instead of taking matters into your own hands you would possibly have been able to enroll and have a replacement.

24 months from the date you signed the most previous contract is your upgrade date. You allowed your device to be damaged (by pulling out the power button) instead of taking it to a store to see what could be done. You'll just have to wait until your contract is up.

0 Likes
Mitchieboi
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks sprmankalel

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Anytime! Smiley Happy

rcschnoor
Legend

Mitchieboi wrote:

If I upgrade now. let's say the contract would extend until the end of July 2017.  Your comment on

"If you want Verizon to start a contract when the old one ends if they allowed early upgrades, there would be people on Verizon who would be locked in for the next 3, 4 5 or more years."

Shouldn't that be up to the customer if they want to be locked in for that long? I would definitely have opted for my contract to be for 2.5 years when my phone broke.

You are correct, it should be up to the customer if they want to be locked in for that long, BUT shouldn't it be up to Verizon if they want to offer a contract for that amount of time???????

0 Likes
Mitchieboi
Enthusiast - Level 3

Lol yes.  This whole conversation was based on the idea of SHOULD Verizon change their contract to allow early upgrades.  Obviously it's up to them if they want to do it. 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Mitchieboi wrote:

Don't forget, we are ALSO talking about stacking ETF charges too, not just contract terms. Quite often people sign things without really understanding what they are doing, simply to end up complaining about them later OR being unable to financially fulfill their obligations. You get people already not being able to fulfill the ETF obligtations or complaining about them. Imagine how that would snowball when you have an ETF for a line in excess of $700 due to the stacking of contracts as you suggest??? Eventually the bubble would pop. I certainly can't blame Verizon for choosing fiscal responsibility even if fiscal irresponsibility is what people are requesting.Smiley Happy

Mitchieboi
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can't blame them for that! Smiley Happy

0 Likes
arkainzeye
Contributor - Level 1

So i take it you didn't opt for the warranty coverage...  you only other option for  be to purchase a used or cert phone. You can  pretty much forget about being able to upgrade early ... if they did this. It would go against the edge plan. Which allows you upgrade early provided you meet the terms. . For you to ask for special treatment  ( just because ) would be dangerous for vzw.. as there are people who have to pay for this privilege... and if you got it free while not even being on a edge plan.... yeah.. that ain't going to happen ...

0 Likes