Declining Cell Coverage?
melzywi
Contributor - Level 1

I've noticed lately that I'm getting a ton of lost or dropped calls lately.  Also my reception is declinging. When I moved in this house in 2008, I had really good reception. I could go anywhere in the house and get a signal.  Never ever had any dropped or lost calls at all.  I would normally have 2 bars for signal.  Now I'm barely getting one. I have to find the "right" spot in the house which is usually up against the windows! 

Is verizon changing something that is causing the signal to decline?  It's not my phone because both phones in the house, get the same reception, and one of them recently was exchanged for warranty.  It still is the same signal strength.  I've tryed updating the roming cababilities etc. Nothing helps. Just thought it was wierd that all of a sudden within the last 6 months or so the signal strength has steadily declined.

Anyone else having the same problems?

Labels (1)
Re: Declining Cell Coverage?
cody_87
Enthusiast - Level 1

my whole town is expiriencing the same problem.  i can usually see the tower, both of them and still have very little bars.  i am very curious about it.

jrh0828
Contributor - Level 1

I (and most of my neighborhood) am having the same problem.  We can't make or take any calls without them dropping several times.  The dropped calls started a few months ago. The VZW answer is that they don't know, or won't say, what the problem is.  I have had VZW service since 1994, and lived in the same house  all that time.  The solution is to buy a network extender, which simulates a cell tower in your house.  I got the extender.   What VZW doesn't tell you is that your high speed Internet connection must meet certain speed requirements for the extender to work.  I learned this because we still dropped calls with the extender.  My upload speed isn't fast enough to meet the extender requirement.  The only way I can get it up to the 1GB the extender requires is to upgrade my internet connection.  To do that will cost nearly $20/mnth.  After nearly 20 years,I am very seriously considering leaving VZW.

AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

cody_87 wrote:

my whole town is expiriencing the same problem.  i can usually see the tower, both of them and still have very little bars.  i am very curious about it.

cody_87,

I could imagine how frustrating it is to be experiencing these signal issues!  I would be more than happy to assist you, and to further investigate the signal issue in your area.

I need a few more pieces of information, such as exact location (address or cross streets / city / zip), whether signal issues are indoors / outdoors / both, how long has this been an issue and are all devices (used at this location) experiencing the same signal issues?

Thank you again for your patience and for being a part of the Verizon Wireless Family!

0 Likes
Branigan46
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes! I have a little trouble in the 76015 DFW area where I live and virtually NO service in Hollis, Ok my old hometown. All the Verizon users there in SW Ok are switching to U S Cellular. The Internet is full of people with the same complaint starting about three months ago. It is as if Verizon just turned off a huge number of towers. What is going on?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have line of sight to two towers, the extender should not be there at all. All that does is help contribute to noise on the network Smiley Happy Verizon should know that if their engineering maps are saying so.

Chances are good they need to check the towers out, and perhaps fine tune the antennas and power/sensitivity on them. Now if only Verizon had functionality within MyVerizon to report coverage issues and tag it with a GPS location...

troberts1962

I am having the same problem. In locations I historically received good coverage I am now having calls dropped due to poor reception. I upgraded my phone which did not help. This is not just in rural locations. It is happening on busy state highways and small cities as well as.

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

troberts1962 We always want you to have better service. We will do everything we can to help make sure you get the best possible service. We sent you a private message here on this platform. -Dolores

0 Likes