Highlighted

Data

blast54

Hello, for the past two months I have used all my data. I have changed nothing that I haven't done in the past five years with my phones.  I look at the data usage info and it appears as if I am using an average of 10-30mb/day and then BANG....500 mb on one day!  This happens a couple times per month and I have two phones sharing 2mb which has ALWAYS been plenty with data left over except for the past two months....... This happens usually when I am home and near my phone is connected to my home network. I shouldn't have to purchace more data if I have always averaged 1 mb per month for the past five years and nothing has changed........what makes this happen?

Tags (1)
0 Likes

Re: Data

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

Keep in mind, while you may have not changed anything apps on your phone(s) may have changed something.

Do you have the same operating system on your device you had 5 yrs ago? Do you have the same version of app(s) on your phones you had 5 yrs ago? When the OS or apps on your devices are updated(with or without your doing anything) some of the settings on your device CAN be changed with the update.

Whether you have an iPhone or an android device, there have been MANY updates to the OS on those platforms in the past 5 years. Additionally, most apps on your device will have a couple of updates every year. These updates can result in increased data usage.

Simply because you don't knowingly change anything doesn't mean that "nothing has changed".

0 Likes

blast54

Nothing has changed as to the last two months. The phone is an iPhone 7 plus that is running the latest OS 12.2 and I only run a few apps that are using data. Mail and FB and those are usually only checked when running on wifi.  Why would it be only  a couple days per month? Also to go from 10mb to over 500mb just for that one period? My wife's phone, same story. Looked at usage and there are a couple days where there is 300 plus mb used in one evening. She only uses her phone when connected at work or the home network!

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

Being able to stay within your data allowance is a must, Blast54. I would be concerned as well if I noticed a significant uptick in data usage and am here to help. I am concerned that there is usage showing when you are under the impression the device is connected to your home network or work network. One thing we will want to check on each device, is that Wi-Fi Assist is turned off on both devices. Here is a link with instructions: http://spr.ly/6602Ed47k Please keep me posted.

ChrisM_VZW

0 Likes