Data usage out of control
BClynacy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am using a Galaxy Note 4 and Note 4 edge on my account and I've seen a disturbing trend lately. I originally started with 6 GB of data and I would use between 4-5GB every month and almost 6GB occasionally. Then one month I was going to go over so I upgraded to the 10 GB package to fix it. After I did that suddenly I use / 8 - 9 GB every month after not changing anything with the way the phones are used?

Then over the last couple billing cycles I almost went over 10GB so I upgraded to 12 GB. Suddenly I use over 10GB every month and this last month almost went over again? I am going to throw the BS flag at this one!!

It really seems that Verizon is claiming I am using more data so I have to upgrade my plan to accommodate this supposed increase. I have checked data usage on the phone to see which apps are doing it, looked at my charts, I have looked at everything that is available, and there is no explanation.

This is absolutely ridiculous, when my habit patterns and usage of the phones does not change, to suddenly consume over 150% more data than I ever have before. I am on Wi-Fi almost constantly, I do not stream music or videos, but still I am suddenly using massive amounts of data?

On top of it I was part of the "edge up" program where I bought a phone for retail and paid payments on it and then suddenly Verizon jerks the rug out from under me on that. So now I have to wait an exorbitant amount of time to upgrade and I still get the pleasure of paying the retail price for a phone. This is ridiculous I am about to go to a prepaid service with unlimited data and Wi-Fi calling..

I guess 8 to 10 years of being a customer isn't good enough, plus my cell phone bill is almost a car payment every month as it is!

Labels (1)
Re: Data usage out of control
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can see why that spike in usage has you concerned, BClancy. It's important to me that we find a solution that doesn't involve constantly increasing your plan or you even thinking of leaving after all these great years with us.When checking your usage online, are you noticing the usage increase on one line/phone model more than the other? For either device, if you go into Settings > Data Usage, are there any applications on either device that appear to be more than 1 GB? In that same screen, do you have your bill cycle set on the phone to match the bill cycle in My Verizon? http://spr.ly/6580BPsOo

JenniferH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I concur with the rep. Look in settings>data usage on all devices and see what apps are you using most of your data. You can also go the extra step and while on Wi-Fi turn off mobile data that way you know your phone is only using your Wi-Fi.

In regards to the Edge Up program, I wouldn't do it. Especially if you're unhappy with your bill. If you keep your current device through the end of your payments, they stop. Decreasing your bill. If you're on the More Everything plan, you can also keep that $25 line access fee discount that you're already getting. With that said discount you're actually saving anywhere from $100-$200 over the course of 2 years even though you paid full price for the phone.

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are using an iPhone, check to see that wifi assist is OFF.  This will use the strongest signal, be it wifi or cellular - and switch for you, meaning that even though you think you are using wifi, you are not.

Another "culprit" is Facebook and videos - they are set to play by default, and if you are using cellular data, they can eat up a lot of data quickly.  And videos are becoming more and more prevalent, so using more and more data.  You can change your settings so that video play on wifi only.

Check to see which apps are using the most data, and check settings to see that backups and syncing occur only on  wifi.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you using the data restriction options in the Data Usage setting on the phone / tablet? While not perfect, it can stop the data usage at a pre-defined amount.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

LibertarianBoxcar
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same exact problem my son just went to the 18 gb family plan he uses Apple I phone, my spouse uses LG & I use Droid maxx They can do more with their phones like Pandora radio streaming & not go over 3 gb. I do Facebook with the Video set to WiFi only & I go over 6 GB a month crazy with data restrictions set( odd how this goes off by it self, still pulling my hair over this) If my son didn't need his phone for work up in the mountains; we would be going to prepaid government free cellular phones with unlimited data, talk & text 

Spouse is on a fixed income. Ridiculous scam

0 Likes