Highlighted

Data rip off

Hanka
Member

There's absolutely NO reason why I should be using data on an iPhone XR when I'm in a Wi-Fi environment and with Wi-Fi Assist off.  And even at 4 and 5AM in the morning.  There's something going on that's a dirty little secret. Verizon is scamming everyone not on an unlimited plan.

0 Likes

Re: Data rip off

Customer Service Rep

Thanks for visiting our community member forum today, Hanka. We know it's always important to have an understanding of how your usage is reported. We'll be happy to help out in any way we can. If you see data connectivity overnight, this would be because our system parses data every 6 hours automatically. It does not mean that you manually used any data. However, it does mean that your phone's WiFi connection went dormant for some time. iPhones don't have WiFi dormancy settings, so you'll want to check to see if your router does. If not, your best bet is going to be to just turn off your cellular data overnight. Your connection may go dormant, but that way you won't show any overnight usage being metered. During the times data is metered when you're not actually using your device, you'll just see background data, so this should be negligible data usage amounts. I hope this information helps. Let us know if you have any additional questions about how this works. EricW_VZW

0 Likes

Re: Data rip off

Hanka
Member

The data usage is not negligible but substantial.  Enough to make me run out of data 2 weeks into my monthly paln.  And why should I have to go to the trouble of turning off cellular data every night before going to bed. I'm seriously looking into a Sprint unlimited plan now, I'll let them buy my phones and pay off an early termination fee.  That's how angry I am right now with Verizon!!  

0 Likes

Re: Data rip off

boringusername
Sr. Member

@Hanka wrote:

There's absolutely NO reason why I should be using data on an iPhone XR when I'm in a Wi-Fi environment and with Wi-Fi Assist off.  And even at 4 and 5AM in the morning.  There's something going on that's a dirty little secret. Verizon is scamming everyone not on an unlimited plan.


Verizon is not adding data and iphones have been nortorious for years for turining wi-fi off. As soon as you set your phone down and and the screen goes blank iphones shut off wi-fi automatically and have for years. If you think Veiron is being shady then leave. it's that simple. 

0 Likes

Re: Data rip off

Hanka
Member

If that is true, then Verizon is complicit in the scam by taking customer's money based on a bug that's built into Apple's iPhones.  That's as underhanded as it gets.  And I will be leaving Verizon.

0 Likes

Re: Data rip off

boringusername
Sr. Member

@Hanka wrote:

If that is true, then Verizon is complicit in the scam by taking customer's money based on a bug that's built into Apple's iPhones.  That's as underhanded as it gets.  And I will be leaving Verizon.


No they are not. And the issue with your iPhone will exist on any carrier. epalin hw Verizon is suppsoed to know if you turned off wi-fi on your own for if the iPhone did it itself? I've never had this issue on Android and neither has anyone on our plan. And we have had Android smartphones are years. Verizon is not ripping your off and adding data. Get over it

0 Likes

Re: Data rip off

Customer Service Rep

We are sorry to read that you are having issues with data usage on your device and we would hate to see you go. We would like to help. Does the device have any issues staying connected to Wi-Fi?

PedroM_VZW

0 Likes

Re: Data rip off

Hanka
Member

None whatsoever.  I’ve been told that data is used regardless of a strong wi-fi signal.  I’m in a mesh system with 200mbs via Spectrum and a Verizon Fios account in my other home.  

I now have to resort to turning off my cellular data unles I need it. I am currently looking into a buy-out from Sprint.  I can’t afford your unlimited plan.

0 Likes

Re: Data rip off

boringusername
Sr. Member

@Hanka wrote:

None whatsoever.  I’ve been told that data is used regardless of a strong wi-fi signal.  I’m in a mesh system with 200mbs via Spectrum and a Verizon Fios account in my other home.  

I now have to resort to turning off my cellular data unles I need it. I am currently looking into a buy-out from Sprint.  I can’t afford your unlimited plan.


The price of service has nothing to do with your issue and your issue will continue to exist at Sprint. Good luck at the worst carrier in the US

0 Likes