Data requirement to protect us.... How ?
48VJ

...This is a response to a BBB complaint........."Verizon's reasoning was that verizon multimedia phones possess features that require access to data services to be used to their fullest potential. The data plans prevent excessive and unwanted data overages from appearing on customer invoices.
Additionally, VZW offers many simple feature phones for customers, who do not wish to use data services. These devices, which can be viewed at http://www.verizonwireless.com,/ do not require data plans."
This is the STANDARD reply from EVERY Verizon representative.

The Simple Feature Phones do have Mobil Web Capabilities and if used to their fullest potential can access data just as easily , So to protect us from excessive and unwanted data overages from appearing on our invoices  because its a 3G multimedia phones just does not make any sense.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Data requirement to protect us.... How ?
Sinixstar

It makes perfect sense to me.

The phones that require data packages are designed specifically for data usage. Smart phones like the droid require a $29.99/month data plan, and enterprise users who connect to an exchange server have to pay $39.99/month. Why? 

Because phones designed for these purposes require a lot of data simply to function.

I've had my droid exactly 5 days, and already used over 20mb of data. I think i've looked at maybe 3 webpages just for the novelty of it so far. It is always connected to the internet. It is ALWAYS getting emails, always sync'ing to facebook and other applications. That's what it's designed for.

Multimedia phones are designed for exactly that - accessing multi-media on demand. Placing phonecalls is secondary in my opinion. This requires a good deal of data (a single video might run several mb) by design. Although it is not constantly connected like the smartphones, so it does not require quite as much data. That's why it's only 9.99/month instead of 29.99/month. Less capabilities, less traffic,  less cost.

Simple feature phones are not designed for that purpose. They're designed to make phone calls - and potentially access some basic data services on occassion. They don't require data plans because they're not really designed for data. They're designed to make phone calls - plain and simple. The web content they do access often times is not nearly as robust or load heavy as multi-media or smart phones. Even less capabilities, even less traffic, even less cost.

That's the difference.

0 Likes
Re: Data requirement to protect us.... How ?
Stew-2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sinixstar wrote:

Multimedia phones are designed for exactly that - accessing multi-media on demand. Placing phonecalls is secondary in my opinion. This requires a good deal of data (a single video might run several mb) by design. Although it is not constantly connected like the smartphones, so it does not require quite as much data. That's why it's only 9.99/month instead of 29.99/month. Less capabilities, less traffic,  less cost.

So to make sure I understand you correctly, an enV-3 activated before January 18 was not designed for multimedia, was comparable to the simple feature feature phones, and worked perfectly fined with data blocked.

BUT

An enV-3 activated after January 18 is designed for multimedia, is superior in every way to the simple feature feature phones, and does not function with data blocked.

Yes, I understand that the design of the phone didn't change with the passing of a calendar day, but that is what you are making it sound like, and of course the passing of time from Jan 17 to Jan 18 didn't change anything except that Verizon decided to stick people who want nicer phones with this extra charge.

0 Likes