Data Usage Question
chinchin

I have an IPhone 5 and the data  for my plan I have used and gone over.  I thought that if I am home on  WiFi that no data will be used.  Apparently I am mistaken.  Does  Pandora, FB, Twitter, Vine and Instagram all use data regardless if I am  on my home WiFi??

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Data Usage Question
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

chinchin lets make sure that you don't have to worry about overage moving forward! As Elector stated, when connecting to Wi Fi the data usage will not deduct from your Verizon data allowance. It's a good practice to turn off your cellular data when connecting to Wi Fi to prevent accidental connections that occur when the Wi Fi connection is lost by http://vz.to/KoKWbw. Next you can update the settings so that applications will not automatically download over the cellular network http://vz.to/1a6MgKf . Lastly we offer great tools to help monitor your usage http://vz.to/1f08Y6v .

AshleyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

If on WiFi there should not be cellular data being used outside of ocassional updates. You can turn off cellular data while on WiFi as well as to only have your apps update only while on WiFi and this should take care of the problem.

Now however iphones with icloud services use cellular data, you must turn these off in your phone settings as well.

On my iphones I have never used more than a few kilobytes of data, then I don't let my phones update over cellular.

This has never resulted in my usage increasing even though I have unlimited data. I strongly believe and this is a belief not a fact I can prove is that these tiered and shared data plans are just a scam to wrest more money from the customers.

I have read people that used less than a gigabyte are now seeing huge data overages because they went from unlimited to metered data. And I strongly believe that the meters are not correct nor functional under these plans. A good indicator is set your usage statistics on the phone to zero on the first day of anew billing cycle. Then compare your phones usage both from the phone versus Verizon's usage accounting. If they match then all is well. If verizon shows more usage you then know its an over charge. There are also other factors such as data roaming which does not show up right away but could be added on the next bill cycle which will take away from your data alottment but again the phones cellular data counter would not change so again you should know if you are being taken for a ride.

Good Luck

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

chinchin lets make sure that you don't have to worry about overage moving forward! As Elector stated, when connecting to Wi Fi the data usage will not deduct from your Verizon data allowance. It's a good practice to turn off your cellular data when connecting to Wi Fi to prevent accidental connections that occur when the Wi Fi connection is lost by http://vz.to/KoKWbw. Next you can update the settings so that applications will not automatically download over the cellular network http://vz.to/1a6MgKf . Lastly we offer great tools to help monitor your usage http://vz.to/1f08Y6v .

AshleyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Not applicable

Elector wrote:

If on WiFi there should not be cellular data being used outside of ocassional updates. You can turn off cellular data while on WiFi as well as to only have your apps update only while on WiFi and this should take care of the problem.

Now however iphones with icloud services use cellular data, you must turn these off in your phone settings as well.

On my iphones I have never used more than a few kilobytes of data, then I don't let my phones update over cellular.

This has never resulted in my usage increasing even though I have unlimited data. I strongly believe and this is a belief not a fact I can prove is that these tiered and shared data plans are just a scam to wrest more money from the customers.

I have read people that used less than a gigabyte are now seeing huge data overages because they went from unlimited to metered data. And I strongly believe that the meters are not correct nor functional under these plans.

Good Luck

Actually it'a problem with the Iphone and their users. We've never had a problem with using too much data. We have 5 smartphones( all Android ) and a 6 GB Share Everything plan. We barley go over 2 GB. My phones data meter and Verizon's are within 3% of each other or less.

The issue is Iphone people especially( but some Android users ) don't know to turn off cellular and auto updating and turn off the Apple features that require cellular (personal comments removed) Also when you set your Iphone down and the screen turns off so does your w-fi. How many Iphone users know this? This isn't an issue with Android.

Not sure about Iphones but Android even has it where you can set apps to ONLY work over wi-fi unless you change it MANUALLY That is important if you choose to leave cellular data on. That way if for some reason you lose your wi-fi connection it doesn't automatically switch to cellular. Because when it does it won't tell you and you won't know unless you look down at the phone and notice the wi-fi is off.

>>Edited to comply with the <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Not applicable

I would like to point out on both my iphones on WiFi I check my Netgear Genie App and the phones are still connected to WiFi with a blank screen. Additionally I can click the power buttons to standby and not totally off and they are still on my WiFi network. So I would say that is not an issue.

I simply turn cellular data OFF. I don't have my email on push at any interval and all apps are off for updating over the cellular network. Both phones use kilobytes not megabytes or gigabytes. And yes I have unlimited.

On the wife's droid no updating over cellular its set just to update over WiFi through the settings. But she uses YouTube, Netflix and Pandora as well as the TWTV app. Normally around 2 gigabytes or less per month.

Good Luck

0 Likes