Data Share plan sales pitch
rrutl
Contributor - Level 2

I would like to continue the conversation about the new 'groundbreaking' data share plan. Although not so much in an expression of opinion, but a few moments of pure analysis. And even in that dimension, I refer not so much in just immediate costs, but in potential costs, strictly speaking increased data use. Using a dispassionate approach to looking forward and attempting to see around the corner, in terms of how my family's use might change or grow.

Many of us have laid out our current costs and compared that to how it would look on the new plan. Typically our reactions were tempered by numbers and decimal points. And I stand in the camp of people whose immediate reaction is that I would get less access to data for similar money, or similar access to data for more money. Obviously others would benefit now in terms of payout, and surely if we all are allowed to choose (for now) we can decide for ourselves. What I am going to do though is attempt to 'plan' for myself, and although we all do this every month/day/week, the data use issue is new to many of us, so it is based more on knowing our family and our needs, not so much in being the most tech savvy or most visionary.

I am as capable as the next person in expressing my opinion and using facts to back up my point of view. My experience on  the forums here were an attempt to share views, sometimes ask for references to 'printed' information, get some idea what the buzz is about (on a range of issues). Probably the least productive element (in my view) is when the debate becomes negative, and demeaning. Few of us are 100% immune to the urge of validating our opinion with spirited debating. But most of us can tolerate differing opinions with grace and civility. However being told to "go somewhere else", " leave the company if I don't like what's happening"  "quit whining" adds nothing of real value to the discussion. The people who say these things have their own right to express, and their own opinion of people who offer dissenting and unflattering views of the company that is the focal point of these threads. I will only state that I consider that a form of bullying.  Who here can remember the phrase "America . . love it or leave it" We love our country even when we dissent. I tolerate my mobile communication service provider, even when I dissent.

Now, and finally, about the sales pitch. I had gone to a local store, with a friend and in the process of the visit the gentleman offered to 'analyze' my account, especially data use. Although I knew for a fact, he could not do a full analysis, due to recent smart phone additions, I engaged him in the conversation. with only limited data use history, on 2 of the lines, there was not a clear way for him to make any assertions about my data use habits. However he gave the pitch and I responded in a spirit of dialogue. Basically he was conditionally correct that data limits were not being reached. much less exceeded, but his approach was definitely centered around encouraging me to adopt the new plan. I still see that only small savings could be achieved UNLESS I severely limit available data capacity. My son is a new smart phone user, and his mother will now be using her personal phone to exchange work related emails. I have an unlimited data and rarely exceed 1.5 gb. I simply want to save now if the savings are significant, otherwise if I limit our use for little or no monetary benefit, we will pay in overage charges. It's an effort to visualize near and long term future use with out being stubborn to hold on the status quo. Today . . next month . . . next year . . . how to be dispassionate and realistic . . . I think I should attempt to find my own ultimate threshold of data use very soon, strictly so I can evaluate my need, not to hog data, but to see forward. My son is very conservative for an 18 yo, but like all young people is susceptable to trends.

In summary I almost totally immune to ads as a method of creating consumption on my part, but no matter where a good idea comes from, I will consider it, even if from a sales pitch. So, the sales person in the store was able to plant an idea, that 'I should analyze' my situation, although his pitch was focused on 'now' but I should look ahead.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Data Share plan sales pitch
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why do you keep creating new posts when you can just add to one of your existing ones?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Because he's just trolling. 

0 Likes
rrutl
Contributor - Level 2

I will consider that an invitation to cease any further posts, and I will leave you to the environment, but just for clarification, is it costing you or even verizon more money to add a post ?  Goodbye and thanks for the memories  I didn't realize THAT was in violation of tos

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

maybe not but the constant threads with walls of text could be classified as flooding/bombing.  Honestly my thoughts are always tl;dr as soon as I see a new thread.

0 Likes
rrutl
Contributor - Level 2

I understood this to be a place for everyone's thoughts, and reading any of it is/was optional. Are 'you' required to read all posts ?   Or are you here to just here to discourage multiple paragraph posting ?  Should I be offended by the personal nature of YOUR response ?  I'm not.  

0 Likes
reallyniceguy
Contributor - Level 3

At first I was not happy. I didnt understand how it worked. I wanted to keep my unlimited. It may not work out for everyone but it does for me.  I have two accounts. one has 5 lines and the other has two. I pay 150 for two lines on one account. I have the 30 dllr 2 gig package. Then I have a dumb phone for the second line. My other account I have 5 smartphones. I pay around 350 for that account.

Now with the new plans I can combine BOTH accounts into one and make one BIG family plan. All the users in my account do not go over 2 gigs except one but he never goes over 5. Ill get a big data package and save some money. On top of that its UNLIMITED minutes and text which is what we use it for.  Ill be paying around 350ish with a big data package..

That is 150 dllrs in savings!! Now since I can add usage controls I can control how much data that one person uses.

Not sure about you guys but to me this is #winning status!

Not applicable

Hey reallyniceguy

Sorry but usage controls do NOT allow to to control how much data someone is using. Unless they've changed recently they have never had that ability. They only tell you how much data someone has used.

0 Likes
hp20
Enthusiast - Level 2

Don't worry Really Nice Guy you will get a bill that goes through the roof. We ALL thought the way you do once but that will change!

0 Likes