Cost to switch from flip phone to smart phone = ~$200
JC224466

I have been with Verizon a number of years.  In the Spring I lost my old flip phone and ordered a new one.  This apparently signed me up with another 2 year contract. This was fine since I was good with Verizon and saw no need for a smart phone at the time. I did pay some money for the replacement flip phone which is a LG VN150S, but I do not remember the cost. I believe this is the only additional phone I have received from Verizon in all my years with them.

I would now like to upgrade to an Iphone due to changes at work but was told I would have to cancel my service and pay the early termination fee of ~$150, purchase a phone and then pay an upgrade fee of $40 to get on the smart phone plan.

An Iphone 5s would be $200 with a two-year contract which I am happy to pay but I have an issue with the before mentioned cost of cancelling the contract to upgrade.  I'm disappointed that Verizon will not waive that fee for someone who has been with their company for a number of years and is looking to continue service with them.

That said, I am looking at Sprint as an option since it appears that they may pay the ETF for me to switch to their network.  It is a shame that Verizon is willing to lose a customer who would like to stay with them over a cheap little flip phone...

- JC

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cost to switch from flip phone to smart phone = ~$200
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're under a contract. You need to finish the contract before purchasing another device under contract. Your other options are to purchase at full retail price or purchase a slightly used phone from third party sites like Swappa or Ebay.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Cost to switch from flip phone to smart phone = ~$200
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're under a contract. You need to finish the contract before purchasing another device under contract. Your other options are to purchase at full retail price or purchase a slightly used phone from third party sites like Swappa or Ebay.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes