Considering BYOD. What Is The Procedure?
JeffRinDC
Enthusiast - Level 2

Currently have a basic phone that is on its last legs. On the More Everything plan. Looking to finally get a smartphone but completely turned off by Verizon's choice of either overpriced, lame, phones, or beaucoup expensive TOTL models. Considering a refurb Droid Maxx from Amazon for a good deal less than what they were asking for the (now out of stock) Droid Mini. If I were to buy this, can I simply order a SIM to be shipped to me? Or, must I jump through hoops to get it activated? What else must I do (beside change my handset to a Smartphone on my plan)? What other charges (if any) apply?

Or, am I to be held hostage by VZ's anointed current (and sure to be designated unsupported the moment I commit to one) Monthly Payment selection?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Considering BYOD. What Is The Procedure?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JeffRincDC, supplying your own VZW compatible phone is definitely one great option! The Droid Maxx is a sweet phone too. If you pick up a Droid Maxx, simply stop by your nearest VZW store, and our store teammates can help with the activation/SIM card.

Regarding changes, keep in mind that your line access fee will switch to $40.00. Currently you are charged $30.00 for a basic phone.

Depending on the cost, consider possibly switching to the Verizon Plan. If your phone is off contract, your line access fee will reduce from $40.00 down to $20.00

http://spr.ly/6580BiwKy

NicandroN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JeffRincDC, supplying your own VZW compatible phone is definitely one great option! The Droid Maxx is a sweet phone too. If you pick up a Droid Maxx, simply stop by your nearest VZW store, and our store teammates can help with the activation/SIM card.

Regarding changes, keep in mind that your line access fee will switch to $40.00. Currently you are charged $30.00 for a basic phone.

Depending on the cost, consider possibly switching to the Verizon Plan. If your phone is off contract, your line access fee will reduce from $40.00 down to $20.00

http://spr.ly/6580BiwKy

NicandroN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

When you get the phone, price check switching to The Verizon Plan, it will likely save you money with the new policy change. 

0 Likes
JeffRinDC
Enthusiast - Level 2

Must I go to a store? I have a very tight schedule, and every single time I have had to go in for something that should have taken not more than 10 minutes turned into 90-120 minute dramas..even though I was "guaranteed" I would be in and out in a flash. Can't they just send the SIM and I enter the IMEI info when I receive the phone? (I don't need to transfer anything from my old phone since I copied everything before trying to fix a problem with a factory reset last week; I already have my Google and cloud stuff setup).

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

You don't need to go to the store for a SIM card, you can call CS and they will send one. 

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can order a SIM through Customer service, yes.  Keep the old phone active, as they will send a confirmation code via text to the currently activated phone when you try to switch devices.  Log in to your account, choose activate or switch device, and follow the directions. You likely will need to enter the # on the SIM card, confirm the code that was texted to your old phone, and hopefully it all goes smoothly. 

Be sure the phone's wifi is turned off for activation, and you can always call CS from a different phone if needed to get the activation to work.  Good luck.

Oh, and you are likely to get your best deal with the Verizon plan - $20 line fee and your data bucket vs $40 on the More Everything.

0 Likes