Complicated question about transferring upgrade
aarahblaykekain

I've researched my question on the boards & found close situations but not exact. So...

1. We have a family plan (3 lines, 2 are eligible for upgrades).

2. The one that isn't eligible is the one that needs it.

3. I'm primary & have the iPhone 4

4. My husband needs upgrade & has the HTC Thunderbolt that no longer works

5. Daughter has a simple LG Chocolate (not a smartphone)

Ok, now it gets tricky... if I transfer the upgrade on the daughter's line it will reset her for 2 more years, which is ok because I plan to give her my iPhone 4 when I go to upgrade to the 5. First, is that even possible? To just switch her simple line phone to a smartphone we already have?

Assuming the answer was YES - then this should allow my husband to upgrade now to the Nokia 928...and.....when I go to upgrade to the iPhone 5, I can simply have my daughter's line upgraded to a data plan (for smartphones).......correct?

Here's the goal:

To get my husband a new Nokia 928 because his Thunderbolt is a lemon. He needs it now but we can't afford to upgrade mine now (to the 5). Thus why I need to know my daughter can get her a smartphone line EVEN IF her 2 yrs have already been reset due to transferring her upgrade to her dads line, when we can afford to upgrade my line.

Please help me out! Sorry it's confusing.

Thanks so much! Any & all advice is appreciated 🙂

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Complicated question about transferring upgrade
Not applicable

If you transfer daughter's discount upgrade to dad then yes her contract starts over and she is not eligible for a discounted upgrade for 2 years( unless you later transfer someone else's upgrade to her line of course ).

Yes you can give here you Iphone 4 to use when your discount upgrade. You can upgrade to smartphone at any time during your contract. The only requirement is she will need a data plan which start out at $30 for 2 GB.

If either you have unlimited data and you take a discount upgrade you lose unlimited data. You didn't specify if anyone on your account does.

0 Likes
Re: Complicated question about transferring upgrade
habeebee27
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, yup you can do that. You can activate an already-owned smartphone on your daughter's line whenever you want, regardless of her contract/upgrade date. You would just have to add data to her line.  Let us know if either of you have unlimited data and we can discuss that further with you, if you like, cause it might have to change.

0 Likes