Class Action Lawsuit - Being charged for an extra month after cancelling service
WORDANDTABLE1
Enthusiast - Level 1

For anyone with the same experience I have, I would like to attempt to find as many people who have had similar experiences to the following with verizon wireless.

Upon cancelling my service, my phones were left on my account for 23 more days and I was charged for a full months use of the devices.  I would like to begin by trying to find anyone with a similar experience (difference being the amount of days charged passed switching over).  I would like to obtain enough people to bring up a class action lawsuit against Verizon or any other carriers that would use this practice  to gain more profit.  No utility company would do this and because cell phones have become (almost) a necessity, they should not be able to charge anyone for any days of service they are not using.

If there is anyone who is going through the same, please comment.  Thanks

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Class Action Lawsuit - Being charged for an extra month after cancelling service
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Cancellations will become effective on the last day of that month's billing cycle, and you are responsible for all charges incurred until then.

If you're a Postpay customer, you can dispute your bill within 180 days of receiving it, but unless otherwise provided by law or unless you're disputing charges because your wireless device was lost or stolen, you still have to pay all charges until the dispute is resolved. If you're a Prepaid customer, you can dispute a charge within 180 days of the date the disputed charge was incurred. YOU MAY CALL US TO DISPUTE CHARGES ON YOUR BILL OR ANY SERVICE(S) FOR WHICH YOU WERE BILLED, BUT IF YOU WISH TO PRESERVE YOUR RIGHT TO BRING AN ARBITRATION OR SMALL CLAIMS CASE REGARDING SUCH DISPUTE, YOU MUST WRITE TO US AT THE CUSTOMER SERVICE ADDRESS ON YOUR BILL, OR SEND US A COMPLETED NOTICE OF DISPUTE FORM (AVAILABLE AT VERIZONWIRELESS.COM), WITHIN THE 180–DAY PERIOD MENTIONED ABOVE. IF YOU DO NOT NOTIFY US IN WRITING OF SUCH DISPUTE WITHIN THE 180-DAY PERIOD, YOU WILL HAVE WAIVED YOUR RIGHT TO DISPUTE

YOU AND VERIZON BOTH AGREE TO RESOLVE DISPUTES ONLY BY ARBITRATION OR IN SMALL CLAIMS COURT.

YOU AND VERIZON BOTH AGREE TO RESOLVE DISPUTES ONLY BY ARBITRATION OR IN SMALL CLAIMS COURT.

From  Customer Agreement | Verizon Wireless

View solution in original post

Re: Class Action Lawsuit - Being charged for an extra month after cancelling service
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Cancellations will become effective on the last day of that month's billing cycle, and you are responsible for all charges incurred until then.

If you're a Postpay customer, you can dispute your bill within 180 days of receiving it, but unless otherwise provided by law or unless you're disputing charges because your wireless device was lost or stolen, you still have to pay all charges until the dispute is resolved. If you're a Prepaid customer, you can dispute a charge within 180 days of the date the disputed charge was incurred. YOU MAY CALL US TO DISPUTE CHARGES ON YOUR BILL OR ANY SERVICE(S) FOR WHICH YOU WERE BILLED, BUT IF YOU WISH TO PRESERVE YOUR RIGHT TO BRING AN ARBITRATION OR SMALL CLAIMS CASE REGARDING SUCH DISPUTE, YOU MUST WRITE TO US AT THE CUSTOMER SERVICE ADDRESS ON YOUR BILL, OR SEND US A COMPLETED NOTICE OF DISPUTE FORM (AVAILABLE AT VERIZONWIRELESS.COM), WITHIN THE 180–DAY PERIOD MENTIONED ABOVE. IF YOU DO NOT NOTIFY US IN WRITING OF SUCH DISPUTE WITHIN THE 180-DAY PERIOD, YOU WILL HAVE WAIVED YOUR RIGHT TO DISPUTE

From  Customer Agreement | Verizon Wireless

WORDANDTABLE1
Enthusiast - Level 1

You refer to the user agreement.  This user agreement is one that 90% of the public does not read because those who want to use the service know that there is no other option except for signing the agreement.  The fact that there is not a full understanding of the agreement from many people who sign it means that the user agreement can be proven to not have a "meeting of the minds" that is required under a contract.  Further, I contacted verizon before I switched over.  Upon several conversations, no customer service representative said anything about the user agreement and time frame of switching over.  Further, if the small claims court is in the user agreement, if the arbitration agreement is located in the same "user agreement" for Verizon customers, then the same users would be unaware of the contractual terms or agreement.

Again it goes back to if someone fully understands an agreement.  Years ago, a video game company tried to add in a phrase to their video game licensing agreement that said, "by signing this, you forfeit your soul." This is the same example of people not understanding the contracts to which they are signing.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

A) Lack of reading the terms of service is not an excuse to not to have to abide by them. You used the service thus you AGREED to the terms and the terms says you can not file class action suit.

B) The terms say you are billed for a full month they do not prorate. So even if you cancel on day 1 of the billing cycle you will be charge for a full month. ALL carriers do this.

C) Please look up class action and what that means. That means getting bunch of people together and suing for the same issue. And even if you could file one it would take YEARS to work through the courts and even if you won Verizon would appeal this would take even more years and in the most of any money won would go to the lawyers and you at best would get the maybe $20. You want to wait 10 years for $20? What would that solve?

Wildsouka
Enthusiast - Level 2

You can be found all over My Verizon saying this exact thing over and over and over. I am really beginning to think that you're getting paid to say this...

C) Please look up class action and what that means. That means getting bunch of people together and suing for the same issue. And even if you could file one it would take YEARS to work through the courts and even if you won Verizon would appeal this would take even more years and in the most of any money won would go to the lawyers and you at best would get the maybe $20. You want to wait 10 years for $20? What would that solve?

0 Likes