Charging for Home Computer Data Usage
onyourown

In January of this year, we went to our local Verizon Wireless office to see how to reduce our bill since my husband recently retired and we live on his pension and social security.  We each had a cell phone and was on a plan that had a 700 minute cap - we barely used 100 minutes of phone time between us but this was the minimum amount of minutes that was offered.

At the time, we were on a Bundle Plan through Verizon that included our home land line, internet, Direct TV and the two cell phones.  We had had this plan through Verizon for about 4 years (once wireless internet service was available in our area) and prior to that, had other providers for our internet service.  In all the years we have had internet service regardless of the provider, we have NEVER been allotted a data usage cap or been charged for data usage for our home computer.

The rep at Verizon Wireless told us that there was not a plan available with lower minutes for our mobile device but by looking at our Verizon bill, she could save us money by switching our land line and internet to Verizon Wireless (we would have to be billed separately by Direct TV).  This would give us unlimited long distance and texting and would be less expensive than what we were paying.

During the sign up process, she asked what types of activity did we use on our computer.  On-line banking, web browsing of real estate and news sites, email, etc..  No movie, tv or radio streaming.  She said that "5GB should be plenty".  We didn't think much of this because we had never been limited to data usage on our home computer and had no idea what we used.  We had 14 days to change our minds.

About week 3 we began getting the "overage" messages.  I called Verizon Wireless and they suggested raising our plan to 6GB for less than the overage penalty would be.  That was in January/February 2013.  We are currently at 10GB and don't know why or what we are doing to cause this much usage - we never watch movies or stream anything live, our emails number less than 200 a month with no big attachments, we don't play on-line games, etc..  I have had several conversations with the reps at the local office and the tech people at Verizon Wireless to no avail.  No matter what we raise our GB to, it never seems to be enough! It is very frustrating as we turn off the jet pack and disconnect at night and even during the day when we are not on-line.  To date, we are paying $100 a month for 10GB of data usage something we never paid for in the past.

The biggest clincher is that I am willing to pay the early disconnect fee but now I am told that internet service through Verizon is no longer offered in my area!  Where did it go?   I would gladly switch to another provider but, unfortunately, we are in a somewhat rural area and presently there is no alternative for wireless service.

Could it be that Verizon is trying to get their customers to switch all services to Verizon Wireless in order to charge for home computer data usage?  I understand charging for data usage on a mobile device but home computer?  By the way, we are a household of 2 senior citizens with one computer.

Another side note:  This pales in comparison to the data usage issue but, the line quality on our home phone is poor as there is not a tower close by.  People always think we are calling on a cell phone and often calls are dropped.  Again, the possibility of which was never mentioned when we switched.

I did file a complaint with the FCC and have been playing phone tag with a Verizon Wireless rep from the executive office.  I also received a letter from him yesterday saying that he has been "unable to reach you by phone" and if I don't contact him before 11/18/13, "Verizon Wireless will consider my case closed". 

Has anyone else had this experience?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
Re: Charging for Home Computer Data Usage
onyourown

In the last 48 hours, I have raised my data usage from 10GB to 12GB to 14GB.  What the heck is going on?!!!!! I am so frustrated with Verizon Wireless.  I did talk to a rep from the Executive Office who was very pleasant and sympathetic but could only offer to waive the early termination fee if we switch to another provider.  I told him that, although we previously had Verizon dsl for 4 years before switching to Verizon Wireless, they now say internet service is not available in our area.  Even he couldn't believe that that were true (until he checked their website).

I feel like we are in "Data Usage Hell".

0 Likes
Bthebear59

I have gone from 8 to 16 to 20 to 30 MB and It uses more every single day 700, 800, 900 MB every single day, I truly believe I'm getting completely ripped off.

0 Likes
Not applicable

This is Verizon's Broadband with voice?

So you went from a $40 a month bill to a $100 and still going up?    That is a $60 a month increase.   How many months before the early termination fee is a break even?   Pay it and get out now.   This complaint has come up before.  There is no way to secure or monitor your actual data usage and I suspect someone is 'piggy backed' on your service.

It is unlikely the problem will get solved unless they lose customers.

As for your data usage....I have cable internet with Cox.  They don't say anything, but we have a 300GB data cap.  If we go over they notify me.  If we go over all the time by a lot, they will start charging me.  Those GBs add up fast.  An email, in coming or out going, with photos attached may be 1-3 GB depending on the resolution of the photos.   I can't imagine staying under 6GB a month even with minimal usage.

I sure hope you fine a solution. 

P.S.  My last phone is coming out of contract and I will be cutting my family cell phone plan $100 a month by porting our numbers to Straight Talk wireless, which uses the Verizon network.

0 Likes
LindaGB4

It gets worse! We had Home Fusion starting 2 May and it worked great until 28 October... numerous calls resulted in... they couldn't find the reason it kept disconnecting, sent a new router, then installed a new antenna. It still didn't work, so they let us cancel, waived the penalty for early cancellation BUT now it is up to us to dispose of the brand new equipment. How many satellite dishes are sitting in the landfill? Don't they even CARE about our environment? What the heck are we suppose to do with the equipment!! I find Verizon's response to my query ("Where can I take/send the equipment? It's brand new.") to be VERY IRRESPONSIBLE. Think we'll cancel our cell phone service AND contact the EPA about this practice of theirs!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know this is frustrating to see your usage increase Bthebear59 but we care about you being and staying a customer.We would never charge you incorrectly. I see you are checking usage daily via My-VErizon. What sites are you viewing, emails your downloading or sending, and functions being used on your computer? Do you turn your device completely off when not being used? Keeping your device on can use data if there are updates or notification. I look forward to hearing from you so we can get usage under control for you.

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes