Charged for a returned phone.
AA21
Enthusiast - Level 2

Before deciding to post this, I read many posts from other Verizon customers in similar situations. Before I go ahead and proceed further with an option on how to move forward, I am hoping to get more insight and advice from anyone willing to share theirs regarding my situation. Here it is:

I received a replacement phone back in late Sept. 2014, but due to other complications, I was unable to return the original phone as soon as they requested. I called Verizon at the beginning of Nov. and spoke with a rep and requested for an extension on the return of the original phone. The rep then told me that they would give me a 90 day extension FROM THE DAY WE SPOKE, which meant I had to return the phone before February, and if I returned it any later, I would be charged a late fee.

Fast forward to January 2015, and I am finally able to send back the original phone. Keep in mind, the day I sent back the phone, I was still within the 90 day extension allowance. The last week of January, Verizon shuts off all the phones connected to the account. Upon speaking with a Verizon rep, we are told that they have not yet received my phone and our lines would be disconnected until they receive the phone. I let them know that I had already sent the phone in at least a week prior to the shut off of our phones and didn't understand why it would take this long for them to get the phone. According to the label they provided for me, I expected for them to receive the phone no longer than a week after I sent it back. According to the rep, "due to weather conditions, delivery shipments may have been delayed". Then, the very next day, our phones are turned back on.

Here I am, about a month later, and our phones were shut off again. We paid the minimum fee and got our phones turned back on within a couple of hours of realizing our phones were turned off, but now we're confused as to why it was shut off again in the first place. I went to a local Verizon store and spoke with an employee about the situation. She calls Verizon Customer Service and has me speak to a rep who can better help me. According to the rep, I am being charged a $599.99 fee for the warehouse "not receiving the original phone". The rep was kind enough to do more digging for me, and he was able to find that the warehouse actually DID receive my phone, but because they received it later than expected, I am now being charged full price for the phone. Now, I understand that I was originally late in returning the original phone, but 1) I called and spoke with someone and asked for an extension (which was granted), 2) the warehouse has my phone, but still wants to charge me full price for it, and 3) they want to charge me full price because they received it a few days later than when they wanted. How is it my fault that the delivery was delayed because of weather? The rep did explain to me, though, that they count the "received date" as the date the shipment was postmarked. So, if that were true, then I still would have been in my 90 day allowance. Again, it's not my fault the warehouse received my phone late because of weather conditions.

Between talking to a store employee, talking to a customer service rep, talking to the insurance company, and then getting transferred to another Verizon Customer Service Rep, I have spent a good couple of hours, at least, trying to figure out how to fight this. I think it's unfair that I'm being charged full price for a phone that is no longer in my possession. And I even mentioned to the second customer service rep that if there are no other options to drop the charge and I absolutely have to pay the $599.99 fee, then I demand that they send me the phone back to me. If I'm being charged full price for the phone, then that means I'm buying it. Because I absolutely refuse to pay $600 for a phone that I do not have. I already had to pay full price for the phone I currently have (or rather, the original that I bought but ended up needing replaced) because I have unlimited data and upgrading would mean that I lose the unlimited data, so I'm willing to pay full price for the BRAND NEW phone that I'm purchasing at a Verizon location. I am not, however, willing to pay full price for ANOTHER phone that I do not even possess. However, the customer service rep informed me that I would not be able to get the phone back and that their warehouse had been the ones to deny to credit back the $599.99 fee after receiving the original phone. I asked for a contact number for their warehouse, since apparently, that is where the original phone is, but apparently, warehouse people cannot speak to customers.

I'm reaching my absolute boiling point with Verizon Customer Service. I've been a loyal customer for nearly 10 years, and this is the first time that I have had a major issue like this. And they seem to be unwilling to help me solve this issue. All I keep getting is "I can transfer you to our financial department so you can set up a payment plan to pay off the fee", but I refuse to set up a payment plan because that means I am agreeing to paying this ridiculous fee! Is there anybody in the Verizon community who can share their advice or opinion and help me out in figuring out how to move forward with this? I'm willing to speak to any and all employees, managers, supervisors, etc., but if all that is just going to be a waste of time, is there another option?

Thank you in advance for your help.

A.A

Labels (1)
Re: Charged for a returned phone.
B33
Legend

Well this situation your in has happened in the past course this is a first.!  I know of that a Customer has asked for an extension and got conformation from a Rep,   To me if there going grant something like that a letter needs to be send to said customer which is you so you can then send this Documentation with the Device to the warehouse in Fort Worth.. 

I've never when sending in my Devices went over the time allowed and when I sent in my Devices I made sure I got plenty of pictures and I also Tracked it back to the Warehouse and you can do that with the Return Label that Verizon sends with the Device that is mailed out to said customer..

If I may ask what was the reason for hanging onto the Unit you was sending back apparently you got the same or another model sent to you for the one you was going to send in correct.?

AA21
Enthusiast - Level 2

B33,

I don't feel the reasons for hanging onto the phone are important. The point is, I asked for an extension, it was granted, I shipped the phone within the time allowance of the extension, but because of weather conditions, the shipment got delayed, causing my phone to get to the warehouse just slightly after the expiration date of the extension allowance. I used the return label that Verizon provided, but it was useless. Despite many attempts following the days after I shipped out the phone, the tracking number did not work. Even on the day that my current phone was turned back on after the warehouse finally received my shipment, the tracking number wasn't working.

Also, Verizon is trying to penalize me for misinformation I was given from different reps. How is it MY fault that their reps are doing a poor job of keeping notes during phone calls or telling me the wrong information?

B33
Legend

Well it sounds kind of like bad luck all around the weather the tracking being miss informed,  I don't know maybe a Rep can reach out that sees the post as it was a Thread started as a Question usually Verizon Reps looks for post on the forum that is posted like yours,  maybe they can help try n solve this for ya..

Good Luck.. b33

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry about your entire experience regarding your return AA21. I know its frustrating to be charged for a phone you do not have? Did we file an investigation to ensure the phone you were suppose to send back was received in the warehouse? Was this issue escalated to a supervisor? We want to help get this resolved so you can continue to enjoy service with us.

Kinquana_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

AA21
Enthusiast - Level 2

Kinquana_VZW,

I was told by a few reps that the phone that I sent back was, indeed, received in the warehouse. I was also told by the reps that there was absolutely nothing that could be done, I had to pay the fee, and that I would not be able to get the phone back despite me paying for it. That seems extremely unfair. 1.) A couple of reps told me that I would be considered within the extension allowance based on the date the package was post marked. However, another rep told me that that information is incorrect. How am I supposed to trust Verizon Customer Service if the employees aren't on the same page? A rep also told me that I needed to get in touch with Asurion insurance as they are the ones who billed the fee charge to Verizon, and Verizon is just "sending the message". However, upon speaking with an Asurion insurance agent, they informed me that Verizon is actually the one who is charging me the fee, not them. I'm tired of going back and forth between customer service reps and not getting any help or any answers. Please tell me how it is fair that Verizon is charging me the full price of a phone despite having it in their possession. Or how it is fair that despite me paying the fee, I am unable to gain possession of the phone I am pretty much buying.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

Well let's see......

You turned in the phone late.

You refuse to explain why it was late.

If it's not turned on by a certain time you are not given a credit.

Regardless of what a rep to you there is no "extension" given. The instructions are in the package. You were quick to activate the replacement device but it takes you several months to send back the old one and you can't say why? Well that was a 599.99 mistake for you. Lesson learned.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

And by the way upon receipt of the replacement device you have 5 days to send back the old one. So in November it was too late ANYWAY.

0 Likes
AA21
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't need to explain on this site why the phone was late. Every rep that I have spoken to knows why it was returned late and have ok'd an extension. I didn't activate the new phone right away because of the reason I was unable to return the original right away. I don't know why you would say an extension is not given if obviously, it is. My issues are that reps are not on the same page with a lot of information they are giving to customers, and if every single rep has confirmed that the phone is now in the warehouse, why should I still have to pay full price for the phone. If I'm going to pay full price, give me back the phone since I'm essentially buying it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want to make sure we get all your issues resolved AA21! I understand how frustrating this can be and want to review your account with a fresh pair of eyes. I have sent you a private message so I can further look into your account.
AmberF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport