Chaperone issues?
akiva
I have three little girls that are at the age where only the "COOL" kids have cell phones.....I hear it at least once or twice a week< PAIGE has a pink one, etc. etc. Im thinking that having one with the chaperone would be a great idea....has anyone had any problems with the program?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Chaperone issues?
SMRyan
Contributor - Level 2

You can setup chaperone services on up to 4 other devices on your calling plan. I would go to http://chaperone.vzw.com for an online demo of the features for Chaperone.

Here's a good overview of it's abilities and features that may answer your above questions

• Allows for the creation and cancellation of child zones as long as the Chaperone child device is powered on. 
  • The ability to set up a notification alert if:
    • A child arrives at the Child Zone.
    • A child leaves the Child Zone. 
    • A child arrives or leaves the Child Zone.
    • Allows both parents to monitor one or more Chaperone Child devices by setting up Child Zone alerts.
    • Up to 4 Child devices can be added to each Child Zone
    • Each Child device can have up to 10 Child Zones created for it.
    • Each Child Zone must have a unique name
Message Edited by SMRyan on 03-18-2009 02:29 PM
Message Edited by SMRyan on 03-18-2009 02:30 PM

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SMRyan
Contributor - Level 2

VZW Chaperone is a great tool for keeping in touch and keeping track of your young ones. The setup process is pain-free, but if you do have any issues with the service you can always contact customer service (*611) with any concerns. But always keep in mind, other than these forums there's also FAQ's and support under the Support tab direct above on top of the website. There you can find any needed support for Chaperone.

Here's some information you may want to know

The monthly rate for chaperone is $9.99/month, with this service you can locate, and manage "Child Zones". Child zones are areas that you can setup where if the phone that has the services leaves or enters that area, you will be able to tell if it's that specified zone. Best example being school.

Personally, I've never had any issues with the service, it's perfect at keeping track of kids, especially during school hours :smileywink:

Message Edited by SMRyan on 03-18-2009 01:16 PM
Message Edited by SMRyan on 03-18-2009 01:19 PM
0 Likes
akiva
what about issues with the # of phones on the plan, or too many saftey zones?
0 Likes
SMRyan
Contributor - Level 2

You can setup chaperone services on up to 4 other devices on your calling plan. I would go to http://chaperone.vzw.com for an online demo of the features for Chaperone.

Here's a good overview of it's abilities and features that may answer your above questions

• Allows for the creation and cancellation of child zones as long as the Chaperone child device is powered on. 
  • The ability to set up a notification alert if:
    • A child arrives at the Child Zone.
    • A child leaves the Child Zone. 
    • A child arrives or leaves the Child Zone.
    • Allows both parents to monitor one or more Chaperone Child devices by setting up Child Zone alerts.
    • Up to 4 Child devices can be added to each Child Zone
    • Each Child device can have up to 10 Child Zones created for it.
    • Each Child Zone must have a unique name
Message Edited by SMRyan on 03-18-2009 02:29 PM
Message Edited by SMRyan on 03-18-2009 02:30 PM
0 Likes
ChantalV
I have had Chaperone for one month now.  The first week I "tested" it extensively.  I would see if I got alerts when my daughter left her zones.  I would go onto the site and see if she was at school during school hours.  Everything was great.  Then the second week I got an alert that said she had left school at 8:45 a.m.  I checked the website and it "located" her 6 miles away from her school.  Without retelling the entire story, I ended up having my mother drive to her school and actually check that she was there and that her phone was there.  The ordeal lasted 2 hours.  The whole time the website saying she is 6 miles away from school.  If this had been real I would have been looking in the wrong place for her.  I talked to my local Verizon rep and he said he suspected that somehow the signal was bouncing off a tower and thought the tower was my daughter's phone.  Since that time, I have had 4 more false alerts saying that she has left school.  They all occur around 8:45 a.m.  I check the website and about half the time the site locates her at the same location as that first episode and the rest of the time it locates her as being at school.  This service is $9.99 per month.  Every week I get a false alert.  With summer coming I need this to work.  This is like the boy crying wolf.  How do I know when to believe it and when not to?  The one time I decide it is a false alert and ignore it, will it be the wrong one?
0 Likes
john_august
The only problem I have with chaperone that is if you have one smart child, they can disable it by changing the location code on the phone from location on to e911. Or the can remove the chaperone program from their phone. I would like to see it work with either location code being turned on and a password to restrict them from removing the program. Also see my post on chaperone and usage controls working together
0 Likes
maplebaskt
I had that happen where the Chaperone service reported my son had left his school.  Although it reported him being much closer than 6 miles away as was your case.  In my situation, because the school property is so large and I only had a 1/4 mile radius from the school's address, I thought that could be the problem.  He was in the bleachers for football game but it was showing him at a road that runs along the back of the school bleachers, which is very close to where he would have been for the game.  The school property is located in between these 2 roads but the school's address is closer to the one away from the bleachers.  So I broadened the radius to 1/2 a mile and now I no longer have the false alerts.  I don't know if that is something of help to you or not, but you could trying increasing the radius around your daughter's school or modifying the address as it is listed in your child zones.
0 Likes
slh777

I loved the Chaperone service untill they upgraded the software, I am no longer able to recieve text messages that the child has left the area......I do recieve an alert letting me know I have a message in my Chaperone App but those alerts have no sound so I have no clue if I recieve one untill hours later when I check my phone...... what is the point of the service if you cant hear the alert?!?!

I WANT MY TEXT MSG BACK!!!!!

0 Likes
john_august
I had the same type of problem with usage controls. so i called verizon and they removed the service and re-installed usage controls and I now get the message when my daughter exceeds her minute limit. You might try this and see it if helps. I still wish it would work with usage controls on.
0 Likes
slh777

Thanks for the idea but I have spoken with so mant different people regarding this issue and I have been told that the new version does not support text msgs.....but I have read today that some people are able to recieve the text with version 2.0 so I have no clue.

0 Likes