Changing area codes
cliffburton19621986

Within a few weeks, I will be leaving for college. This college is in a completely different area code. I was wondering if it would cost anything to change my number to reflect my new residence, seeing as how that is where I will be spending most of my year. Thank you in advance Smiley Happy

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Changing area codes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are thinking you can get the exact same phone number but change just the area code, stop it isn't possible. You can certainly gent you number changed, but you will only be able to select the area code and possibly the phone exchange. The last four digits are randomly assigned.

I'm hundreds of college students will have phone numbers that correspond to their hometowns more than their college location. If their parents still have a landline then calling their kid's cell number would be a local call even if they are two or more states away. If the phone number matches the college location phone exchange then it will be a long distance call.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Yes, you can change your number to more accurately reflect your location. You would most likely have to have the account owner perform this change for you.

As Ann has said, it is very likely most of the people you meet in college will have cell numbers which reflect their hometowns rather than the college location. As most cellular plans include long distance in the calling plans, it wouldn't matter what your area code was.

As to local vs long distance on a landline, more and more landlines have long distance included with the calling plan, too. I know mine is included, at least.

If you are on a Shared plan with your parents, you should talk to them about the change.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cliffburton19621986 We're so excited to hear that you're starting your college career! You have the option of keeping your current mobile number since you have a Nationwide calling plan which includes roaming in the United States. However, you can change your mobile number too to reflect your current residence, as well.

Great news! It's free to change your mobile number online at My Verizon, http://vz.to/Unoocn

Lasina_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
503Ask

Hi, can you keep your existing cell number and add a new line with a different area code  so that you receive both numbers on your current phone? 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is a great question 503Ask. You can definitely set up another number for your phone. This service is called Second number. Check it out here: https://www.verizon.com/solutions-and-services/add-ons/mobile/second-number/ ~Peter

0 Likes