Re: Carryover Data Scam?
mama23dogs
Legend

KATHCANDO wrote:

I also am very unhappy with data carryover plan. I received my "misinformation " from the Verizon sales representative. I did not realize I had been mislead until the 2nd month. When I called Verizon, that representative, Rachel, told me again that anything left at the end of the month, would again roll over. Sadly, still not true. Obviously Verizon people don't even know how it works. I am not tally looking for it to accumulate month after month, but I think any previous month's carryover should be used first. I am very disappointed and frustrated with this plan. Will be researching other options.

what ever is left of your PAID DATA PLAN rolls over for one month..

bonus data is used first and does not rollover

rollover data is used last and doesn't rollover. 

if you go over and buy a data boost, that doesn't roll over. 

If you think T-mo is so great, read the policy.  You have to have a minimum 6 gig plan and the maximum is 20 gigs.  ATT and Verizon will roll over from smaller plans and if you have 25 left in a month, it all rolls over. 

I have a 30 gig plan and we dropped our usage.  I might have a 22 gig rollover this month.

0 Likes
DominoDoggy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Logic? Well, the data is already paid for. Paid for, unused things should be used up before the new things are used. If we're going to have rollover data that is. What we have is better than nothing, but you wanted a logical reason and there it is.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

DominoDoggy wrote:

Logic? Well, the data is already paid for. Paid for, unused things should be used up before the new things are used. If we're going to have rollover data that is. What we have is better than nothing, but you wanted a logical reason and there it is.

Ahhhhhh! We aren't buying an amount of data to be used whenever we feel like it. We are paying to use UP TO the amount of data you select. You get a discount for paying in advance. Nobody told us to NOT use the data. You choose to pay for a higher amount then not use it. That is on you. My family has a 30GB plan. Many months we use 25-28 of it. If we used a lower amount then I would have a smaller data plan. It is that simple. As the consumer, you should know what your average usage is and plan accordingly. It is your fault if you are paying for double the amount that you need.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Also, here is the LOGIC of why carried over data is NOT used first. I wrote this on this very thread 3 months ago.

Let me explain this again. I have already done so in another post or two so I don't know why it isn't understood.

First- We don't buy chunks of data. We buy the ability to use up to X amount of data for X number of dollars. If you use more then you pay more. We are not buying X amount of data to be used whenever we feel like using it. With that said, if you have more than 2-3GBS of unused data at the end of the month, you are paying for too much and should consider lowering your plan limit.

Now to why rollover data is used last-

If you have a 10GB plan and use 5GB then you will rollover 5GB to the next month. You will essentially start with 15GB. If you then only use 5GB (your rolled over amount) then you will have 10GB left and you will start the next month with 20GB. If you use your regular 5GB, you will then rollover 15GB and start the next month with 25GB. If you only use your regular 5GB then you will start the next month with 30GB. What will have happened is the amount of data you start with is increasing every month all while you are still paying for the ability to use up to 10GB.

So, if you are paying for 10GB and using only 5GB every month then you should pay for 6 or 8GB plan.

I have a 30GB plan and we use about 20GB to 28GB per month. If I only used 5GB I would NOT pay for a 30GB plan.

Nowhere does it state that you bought this amount of data. Would you like for us to get charged per GB? That is $15 per GB. If you use 5GB would you like to pay $75? Or would you rather pay $70 and get up to 8GB? That is $8.75 per GB. You get a discount for purchasing the ability to use up to the plan limit. Have too much left at the end? Change your plan.

0 Likes
KATHCANDO
Enthusiast - Level 2

Your LOGIC or computations are incorrect. Roll over is only good for One  (1) month.  If you have a 10 gb plan, you would never have more then 20 gbs to start a month.

[Removed]

URL removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
BRAPER72
Enthusiast - Level 2

I feel like the very last part if your explanation needa more explanation lol like u use 8 out of your 10 and 2 carries over and then what???

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Do the math with me:

Month 1--- 10(plan allowance)-5=5 to carry over

Month 2--- 10+5(carried over)= 15-5=10 to carry over

Month 3---  10(plan allowance)+10(carried over)= 20-5= 15 to carry over

Month 4--- 10(plan allowance)+15(carried over)= 25-5= 20 to carry over

Month 5--- 10(plan allowance)+20(carried over)= 30-5= 25 to carry over

This is exactly how it would work out if carried over data is used before plan allowance data.

Verizon didn't give us carry over data for any other reason than AT&T started it. They took exactly the same plan and rules as AT&T and implemented it. They did this to retain customers and not lose them to AT&T for something that is easy to offer. No other reason.

I will say it again, if you have more than 2 or 3GBs left over at the end of the month then you are subscribing to a higher data plan that you need.

0 Likes
CJAA
Enthusiast - Level 3

Personally, I first found out about the "new carryover plan" 2, 3? years ago on the radio while on vacation out of state and I immediately inquired over my cell phone.  I asked if it was like my old cell phone where I bought minutes and would get to keep them until I used them with no time limit.  I was told yes so I immediately agreed during that conversation and forgot about it.  It wasn't until a few months later after noticing I didn't have all the minutes I thought I should have that I looked into it and saw all these self-serving restrictions.  They are easier to find now but back then you had to look pretty hard to crack the scam.

There is nothing that can be said that will convince the average consumer that the Verizon definition of a Carryover Plan is NOT deceiving.

CJAA
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's not that it is not understood - it's that it is wrong, unfair, misleading, a deceitful marketing tool, etc. IT'S JUST PLAIN WRONG AND AN ADVERTISING SCAM!

You're/Verizon's careful play on words, phrases, self-serving justifications are not in line with what consumers expect. The ads/marketing are deceitful, period.

“We don't buy (enter any consumable here) we buy the ability to use a chunk of (enter that consumable here)?”

Really, we who? When you pay for something - it's yours for as long as you want it.  Just like when I first got a cell phone and paid by the minute.  I bought the minutes for my phone; they were mine until I used them.  All unused minutes CARRIED OVER with no time limit.  When I knew I would need more for a future event, I would use less for a while so I would have them later. I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find a case or two to the contrary, but by far the majority of the time people do not buy anything with the understanding if they don't use it all, they lose it. It's not like data is a food product or any product that has shelf life. People buy products and expect to own the whole product for as long as they choose, for as long as they choose. Again, if you read the fine print, look where most people wouldn't bother to look, etc. you can find the carefully worded Verizon explanation that it is not truly carryover.  At best it's carryover with major disclaimers contrary to the legal definition of carryover (and what carryover means to consumers.)

"Nowhere does it state that you bought this amount of data.”

Really - Then nowhere will find a definition of carryover that has the self-serving carryover restriction you/Verizon have?

Would you like for us to get charged per GB? That is $15 per GB. If you use 5GB would you like to pay $75? Or would you rather pay $70 and get up to 8GB? That is $8.75 per GB. You get a discount for purchasing the ability to use up to the plan limit. Have too much left at the end? Change your plan."

Yes, charge per GB, a competitive amount, and let it carryover (the true meaning of carryover.) 

KATHCANDO
Enthusiast - Level 2

Month 3:  10 carryover only good for month 3. So if you only use 5 of your 10 carryover you lose it. Month  4: 10 carryover and 10 plan equals 20. Use only 5, lose 5. Start over. Got it.

[Removed]

URL removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes