Re: Carryover Data Scam?
MONPLA47
Enthusiast - Level 2

I totally agree!  I am a new Verizon customer and am not happy with their policy to apply data usage as bonus data, then purchased data, and finally carryover data.  Because carryover data is not cumulative, I have nothing to carry forward for the next month. 

rcschnoor
Legend

MONPLA47 wrote:

I totally agree! I am a new Verizon customer and am not happy with their policy to apply data usage as bonus data, then purchased data, and finally carryover data. Because carryover data is not cumulative, I have nothing to carry forward for the next month.

I would be curious to know how often you go over your data allowance? If you DO routinely go over your allowance, where would you expect to actually "accumulate" carryover data. If you DON'T routinely go over your data allowance, you would usually have carryover data to use in any given month.

If you go over your data allowance 6 out of 12 months of the year, you MAY be on the wrong data tier for your needs. Regardless, even if you DO go over your allowance 6 out of 12 months in a year, you would STILL have carryover data in the OTHER 6 out of 12 months of the year.

If you go over your data allowance in only 3 months out of the year, you would have carryover data in 9 months of the year. UNLESS those 3 months were one right after the other, you would have carryover data to use in those months. Even if you went over your data usage 3 months in a row, you would have carryover data to apply to your overages in the FIRST of those 3 months. With a 2nd month in a row of overages, I would start to wonder if I am on the correct data tier instead of worrying about carryover data I could have "accumulated" from months ago. If you want to use "accumulated" data from months ago, possibly you were on too big of a data tier at that time. Carryover data is not meant so that you can bump up your allowance one month to get carryover data which you can use for the next several months.

Don't forget, there is ALSO SafetyMode to prevent you from incurring overages, too.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

We had this same discussion after ATT added rollover. 

It's a simple enough answer:  Network management

Neither ATT or Verizon want people stashing data till summer vacation and blowing it all over a month.     It would mean a clogged network for everyone and then we would really have something to complain about. 

0 Likes
Shirowhat
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree, Verizon does say in their terms the carry-over data is used only after your monthly allowance, so technically this is not a scam... if you purchase the plan from their website.... but I signed up during a call to Verizon to discuss a different issue.

The customer service agent convinced me to sign up for a plan, that I wasn't even in the market for, by assuring me the plan would cost the same as my current plan and that the rollover data would be used BEFORE my regular allotted data. I signed up over the phone and it wasn't until after I got home I discovered this was false.

tl;dr: website correctly states terms, but agents are selling a product that verizon doesn't offer, which is technically a scam

mama23dogs
Legend

The printed TOS and website trump whatever information that may have been mangled, misunderstood or lied about during a call or in person.

The broken record....It is a perk Verizon didn't have to offer, it's a marketing ploy only.  At most it will help 6 months a year.  Same as AT&T. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Customer Agreement | Verizon Wireless

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Johnefriendly
Enthusiast - Level 2

My question is why does my data carry over only one month? They say my data is mine so why is it only mine for a month? Is there an expiration date? Does it have a one month shelf life?

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Per the Carryover Data FAQs, yes, there is an expiration date on how long you can carryover the data.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

mama23dogs
Legend

This might look familiar as I wrote n earlier in the thread....

It's a simple enough answer:  Network management

Neither ATT or Verizon want people stashing data all year till summer vacation and blowing it all over a month.     It would mean a clogged network for everyone and then we would really have something to complain about.  

CJAA
Enthusiast - Level 3

Totally agree with original post.

AS SOON AS A CARRIER IN MY AREA OFFERS THE SAME COVERAGE I WILL BE SWITCHING.  Unfortunately I live in a rural area with other carriers but inferior coverage.  I check weekly and will switch even if Verizon offers to match just as a matter of principle for their greed and deceptions.  I believe the way it worked out was, I had to contact Verizon to get the new plan.  When I did I asked about the carryover. I asked if it was like when I had a cell phone years ago, that had Verizon as the carrier, where I purchased minutes from a card and where all minutes I bought carried over and accumulated.  I was told yes.  Additionally it seems every time I learn of a feature/function/trick for cell phones, specifically my Samsung, Verizon has it disabled or wants to charge an additional fee. The T-Mobile plans sounds good as soon as their coverage gets better in Ohio.  A Metro PCS just opened here, headin' there today.

P.S.  Are Verizon and Time Warner under the same ownership?  Reminds me of Clinton and Trump!