Carryover Data Scam?
MU_TIGRES
Enthusiast - Level 1

Surely other Verizon customers have noticed the false advertising and service scam Verizon has set up w/ their new "carry-over" data plans.

The false advertising about the carryover data on Verizon's new plans is unacceptable.  They advertise that any unused data will carry over and is eligible to use until the end of the next month's billing cycle.  Instead of being honest and upfront about the service they provide and its limitations, they give the idea that you'll benefit from carryover data every month if you are under your data allowance.  This is FALSE.  They've creatively found a way to deceive their customers and limit the benefit they truly have access to.

If you do not use all your monthly data allowance, they tag it onto your data allowance for the following month.  So let's say you are under by 1GB of data in July, they will tag on an extra 1GB of data in August... but what they conveniently hide under layers of incomplete and inaccurate advertising is the fact that you have to use all of your monthly data allowance in August before you begin to use the 1GB of extra data from the previous month.  This means that you're really only eligible for carryover data every other month.  If you have carryover data in July, you have to use that extra data by the end of August otherwise it expires, but in order to use that extra data you have to use all of your monthly allowance in August first before using the carryover data, thereby eliminating any possible carryover data from August into September.

Not only is it offensive that they think their customer base is stupid enough not to notice this cheap ploy to offer something while only actually offering a portion of the claimed benefit, it's bad business and false advertising to suggest that you offer carryover data every month when in actuality customers could only use it every other month.

As a Verizon customer, I'm insulted and frustrated by this bad business ploy that you're hiding under layers of false advertising.

Labels (1)
Re: Carryover Data Scam?
mama23dogs
Legend

Ever heard the saying, "don't look a gift horse...."  Well you should be smelling hay and oats.

Funny how nobody complains when they have no rollover.  But the carrier gives an inch and all they get is ungrateful customers. 

So, why don't you stay on the previous plan, then you have nothing to complain about.

Tags (1)
rcschnoor
Legend

MU.TIGRES wrote:

they give the idea that you'll benefit from carryover data every month if you are under your data allowance. This is FALSE.

No, this is TRUE. If you are under your data allowance for the month, the unused portion of your data allowance will roll over to the following month if you are on the new Verizon Plan.

Data which has ALREADY rolled over IS NOT part of your data allowance and therefore will not be rolled over again.

Your data allowance will be used before any rolled over data.

The fact remains if you have a data allowance of 10 GB and only use 8 GB, 2 GB WILL ROLL OVER to the following month. Smiley Happy

MAGERB
Enthusiast - Level 3

They should use the rollover data first in the following month instead of using you paid allotted data first.

Weth
Legend

This is exactly how AT&T does the data rollover. From reading their explanation of how it works, it seems they were not hiding how it works at all. Certainly it is not the most consumer beneficial way to do it, but it is better than what we had.

FIREMEDIC311
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm good with your comment. I understand how they deceive us. my issue with them is one of my phones has celluar data off 100% of the time yet that phone racks up 4 TIMES the amount of my phone and I have cellular data on 24/7. They just want me to purchase the family base to "restrict" the data able to be used on the phone, THATS NOT THE PROBLEM!!! That phone is 100% on wifi only it should have ZERO DATA USAGE maybe miniscule if used as an actual phone for a voice call lol. RIDICULOUS

Weth
Legend

Let's hear the actual setup. There is no way you have cellular data turned off on the phone 100% of the time and see data usage, with or without wifi. I have seen many phones, and you do not get data usage when cellular data is turned off. What phone is this. Do you really have cellular data turned off on the phone at all times?

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Or does the end user of the device make you THINK they haven't used it?

MAKNZE
Enthusiast - Level 2

I completely agree with your statement! I just recently switched to the new plan with carryover data. We actually had approximately 12 GB to carryover this month because I finally realized the original Verizon clound settings were driving up the data usage on this phone. I just thought "[Removed], I use a lot of data". However, I figured out my excessive usage was due to the  standard setting on my phone was set to sync to the VZW cloud every hour even without WiFI. Needless to say, I am using much less data.

So, back to the carryover.. I have almost 12 GB  of carrying, but day after day, it isn't going down; only my monthly plan allotted data is going down. Then it hits me. OMG are they really making it to where I HAVE to use ALL of my data in order to use my carryover? I mean, I knew the carryover data would be eligible to use the following month, but I did NOT know they were making you use all of your data to get to it. I agree they didn't advertise that part of it because it is not a standard carryover plan. The should have named it the EVERY OTHER MONTH carryover plan as if you use any carryover data that month, it means you won't be carrying data to the next month.

Love Verizon service and have been a loyal customer since 1994, but it's disheartening to see the customer is no longer their priority.

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

mama23dogs
Legend

Just because neither you or the OP read the terms of Carry Over (which is very clear and simple) doesnt make it  a scam.  Verizon didn't have to offer this FREE extra perk.

Tags (2)