Cancelling one line of my 2-Line family plan
AngryCustomer1983

My wife and I currently have 2 smartphone lines and we pay approximately $165-170 a month.  My (Primary) contract ends in April of 2014.  My wife's contract (Secondary) ends on 6/14/13.  I have decided to leave Verizon (after 9 years) because I believe they have become as poor as AT&T in regards to providing good service at affordable rates.  I was okay with paying $30-$50 more a month because I enjoyed my time with Verizon and the customer service I used to receive.  Now they are no longer allowing me to keep my grandfathered Unlimited data package and to stick with the amount of data I'm currently using I would be paying $190-$210 a month.  (I can go to Sprint for $120.00 a month for 2 lines and Unlimited everything!  This doesn't even include non-contract places where I can pay $100-$110 a month)

What I am looking for on here are some creative ideas people may have in regards to paying the least amount possible.  I need a new phone (I currently have the original Galaxy S Fascinate.  It is starting to have some issues and I'm not sure how much longer it can last.  Here is my initial thought but would like to know if anyone has any better ideas.

First I would switch my wife's number to the Primary account and mine to the Secondary account.  Then I will port my number to Sprint in June (after the VZW contract expires).  I will cancel my secondary line and leave my wife with Verizon and it should lower my bill to $79.99 before taxes etc.  I can do an individual plan with Sprint for the same cost and basically be paying the same I am now but with an updated phone and both lines would continue to have unlimited data (just on two different networks).  I would also receive $100.00 for changing my number from VZW to Sprint.  Then I will have my wife finish out the Primary line until April of next year. (after the VZW contract expires) Then I will add her to my Sprint line and only pay $120.00 a month (Saving roughly $50.00 a month) for Unlimited everything.  The way I look at it, I will be paying what I am paying now until April of next year for a newer phone and basically the same plan (different networks) and then I will be saving roughly $50.00 a month after April of next year.

Any other thoughts? ideas?

Thanks!

Rob

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cancelling one line of my 2-Line family plan
Spiral
Master - Level 1

Why don't you just pay the ETF and port your lines to Sprint right away?  If you are going to save about $50/month with Sprint service you will make up that $220-$230 ETF within about 5 months of savings with your new carrier. 

Add in the additional $100 bonus for the second new phone (you can't be sure that option will be available next year) and you have even more savings.

FYI, you mentioned 'switching' your wifes number to the primary account that has a contract until April 2014.  That would not be allowed.  The number is tied to the contract.  You could make her contract the primary account but I don't think that would  meet your needs as I understand them.  Of course you could always assume her number and port that after 6/14/13 in the scenerio you described.

View solution in original post

Not applicable

Is there a point other than to bash Verizon? I'm not sure if there is question. Enjoy the "unlimited" data( notice the quotes ) Also hope you don't travel outside the big cities and want to access this "unlimited" data because you won't be able to.

Also you can keep unlimited data provided you pay full price for your phone. At least Verizon's unlimited data is actually unlimited.

0 Likes
AngryCustomer1983

First of all, the point is to determine if other ideas are out there than one presented. 

Second, I live near Chicago.  I won't have any issues with service.  Besides, I know many people with Sprint and they do not have any issues connecting to Facetime or the internet.  Sprint has expanded their service a great deal over the last year and half.  Although they are number 3 for wireless (VZW is no. 1 and AT&T is no. 2) their coverage is basically the same in regards to VZW or AT&T.

http://cell-phone-providers-review.toptenreviews.com/sprint-pcs-review.html

Third, I can pay full price for a phone with VZW ($600+) or I can pay $99.99 for an iPhone5 with Sprint.

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

Why don't you just pay the ETF and port your lines to Sprint right away?  If you are going to save about $50/month with Sprint service you will make up that $220-$230 ETF within about 5 months of savings with your new carrier. 

Add in the additional $100 bonus for the second new phone (you can't be sure that option will be available next year) and you have even more savings.

FYI, you mentioned 'switching' your wifes number to the primary account that has a contract until April 2014.  That would not be allowed.  The number is tied to the contract.  You could make her contract the primary account but I don't think that would  meet your needs as I understand them.  Of course you could always assume her number and port that after 6/14/13 in the scenerio you described.

AngryCustomer1983

Great point about paying the ETF.  I will have to calculate it out; that does seem to be my best option.

0 Likes
Not applicable

AngryCustomer1983 wrote:

Although they are number 3 for wireless (VZW is no. 1 and AT&T is no. 2) their coverage is basically the same in regards to VZW or AT&T.

WRONG. Verizon covers over 300 million people Sprint at best covers 200 million. That's not "basically " the same. I live east of the Mississippi so I'm not exactly in Alaska or Montana and the nearest Sprint coverage is 50 miles away. Once again not even close to "basically the same" coverage

0 Likes
AngryCustomer1983

John,

Do you work for Verizon or something?  I gave you the data.  As a whole (the entire U. S. of A.) they have similar amounts of coverage area.  Look it up for yourself, I gave you the facts with coverage areas for all of the major cell phone providers with the link I provided you. If Verizon and AT&T continue on the path they are on vs. other carriers I wouldn't be surprised if they lose a ton of customers going forward; especially now that unlocked phones are easier to purchase.

Sprint is lacking in the Northwest USA area compared to Verizon.  A place of the country I have never been and do not plan on visiting anytime soon.  They are focused on the East Coast, Midwest, and California.  Being in the Midwest allows me to continue to receive equal amount of coverage.  You can debate this all you want but I am looking at the maps online and know people personally who have Sprint in Illinois and Florida.  None of them have problems.  I can say the same for Cricket Wireless users and Net10 and Virgin Mobil.

I agree that VZW is slightly better than the competition, but at $600 more a year, I'm okay with my phone running slightly slower.

0 Likes
AngryCustomer1983

Oh, and currently Sprint 3G coverage reaches 275 million people according to Open Signal.

0 Likes
Not applicable

AngryCustomer1983 wrote:

John,

Do you work for Verizon or something?  I gave you the data. 

A) No I don't.

B) Who cares I know what coverage they have and don't have.

<< Post edited for discussion of moderation >>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Not applicable

AngryCustomer1983 wrote:

Oh, and currently Sprint 3G coverage reaches 275 million people according to Open Signal.

A) 275 mil? Oh so I happen to be one of the 35 million that doesn't have this coverage? Hardly.

B) Even if true, 3G? Are you serious? Who cares about 3G? More people can get Verizon 4G LTE than can get Sprint's 3G service and that's just sad.

0 Likes