Cancellation of Service of 1 line, and transfering all authority to the other.
Randall_Cloud
Enthusiast - Level 1

Greetings,

I have a question about cancelling and military suspension of services (of 2 lines).

I left America about 2 years ago, and 'just in case' I go back to America, I maintained my line.

However, coming back to my home country, and right now working in Middle East, I doubt there will be any tangible chance of going back to USA.

After 2 years of paying to maintain my line, I came to a conclusion - to cancel my service. I cannot throw away more money for nothing now.

But the problem is my account on Verizon Wireless is MY number, and I have a brother using a line in the family package.

So, if I am to cancel primary number (let’s say primary, and my brother’s is secondary), can the account ID be changed to the secondary number?

Also, at the same time, my brother is going to the military service for 2 years. He needs to suspend his service for that period also – yet, he would like to maintain his number because he will go back to USA after his military service to finish his academics.

I need two have these three issues solved simultaneously.
To summarize,

1.  Cancelling Primary number

2. Transferring Account ID from Primary to Secondary number (with all authority)

3. Long term suspension (military) for current secondary number

Can I achieve them all by calling to 1-800-922-0204?

Or should I solve them one by one with different means each?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

>>Personal information removed to comply with the <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Cancellation of Service of 1 line, and transfering all authority to the other.
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Are you and your brother serving in the US military?

0 Likes
Re: Cancellation of Service of 1 line, and transfering all authority to the other.
Randall_Cloud
Enthusiast - Level 1

Korea

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

If any of the lines are still under contract, then you would be responsible for the Early Termination Fee (ETF) for those lines if they are cancelled prior to the contract being completed.  You would need to call Verizon Customer Service or go to a Corporate Store in order to cancel.  You cannot do it online.

The ETF would be $175 for a regular phone or $350 for a smartphone minus $10 per month of the contract that has been completed.

Your brother can do an Assumption of Liability (AOL) for his line in order to take it over in his name.

A line can be suspended for 90 days without billing and can be renewed for another 90 days without billing within a 12 month period.  The amount of time that it is suspended without billing would be added on to the contract.

I believe that I line can be suspended with billing (meaning you/he keeps paying each month) for longer period (perhaps indefinitely).

0 Likes
Randall_Cloud
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for your response.

However, I have none of my questions answered.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Randall_Cloud wrote:

Thank you for your response.

However, I have none of my questions answered.

Yes the other poster did answer your questions. However you might want to call Verizon Wireless using the international support number since you are out of the country. http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/global/support.html

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

It looks to me as if the only one of your questions which wasn't answered is the one regarding military suspension, however you did not really give enough information to provide an answer for that question.

When asked if your brother was serving in the US military, you responded with "Korea". Does that mean he is serving in the US military in Korea or is he serving in the Korean military??? As far as I know, Verizon only will provide military suspension for US military personell. Deployment orders would have to be provided to Verizon in order to receive the suspension/cancellation.

Additionally, when transferring authority to your brother via AOL, a deposit MAY be required depending on his credit history.

Randall_Cloud
Enthusiast - Level 1

You have mentioned a good point there.

To be specific, he will go to an US military as a Korean citizen in Korea.

(Korean Augmentation to the United States Army - KATUSA)

You are saying, IF my brother is going to a Korean military, he will not be able to suspend (maintain) his number?

I don't think it is a good treatment for a guaranteed returning customers...

and yes, it looks like the first commentor has actually answered my 2nd question, which i missed out while skimming through during work. I apologise about it.

You have also mentioned about the deposit. Do you  think I can work it out with a phone call?

Last, can I get those 3 questions solved by calling the service deparment?

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Members of the KATUSA are part of the Korean Army and are not considered part US military.

As such, the laws pertaining to US Armed Services members in regards to their cell phone service would likely not apply.

Your brother can suspend in the manner I noted above. He can suspend will out billing for a maximum of 180 days in a 12 month period. Or he can suspend with billing and keep paying during the two years.

And as I also noted above, you do all of this by calling Customer Service.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good morning, Randall_Cloud. We want to help you to review your account and all the options available for the changes you're looking to make. If you haven't already called Customer Service, you can send me a private message so we can take a closer look at the best steps for your lines. I have sent you a follow request here in the forum. Please access https://community.verizonwireless.com/actions to accept my request and follow me back so you can send me a private message https://community.verizonwireless.com/docs/DOC-1613 with your name so we can get started.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes