Cancellation of Account, Still need to pay for Taxes?
Ken_Jung

Hello All.

I am trying to ask your advice on my situation what I should do.

Dec 2012, I have created a wireless account under my name with 2 lines.

However, I had to cancel the account and reopen due to some complications. I cancelled the original account on the same day I opened it and created a new account on the very next day. The new account, I have created it under same name, address and numbers.

Things seemed to be okay for a while but all of sudden I was starting to get an invoice of over $800 for early termination of an account.

I called in the Customer Services and they acknowledged the situation and told me they will remove it.

They did get rid of most of the amount but there were few changes(under $10) left behind and I was keep getting invoice about it.

I called in again and they told me it was the taxes. I tried to ask for explanation why am I getting charged for taxes for something I have already returned and no-one was able to answer the question. They backed up and told me they will take care of it. Even one person told me he will give me a follow up call.

I did not receive any follow up calls and now I found my account is sold to a collection agency.

I have talked to Verizon CS about it only answer I got from them was once its sold to collection, they can't do anything.

I know its nothing in terms of the amount (less than $10) but the way they handle the situation makes me so angry.

Now, I am trying to write a dispute letter to the collection agency but I am not sure how they will handle it either.

Also, I don't want to ruin my credit score because of some changes.

Do you have any experience similar to this or any advice? (Please don't say just make the payment and forget it. That would be my last resort).

Thank you very much.

Ken

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Cancellation of Account, Still need to pay for Taxes?
Not applicable

When you ask a question, you don't get to censor the responses.  I would forget it and make the payment.  It's not worth ruining your credit.  Taxes are paid to local, state, and federal government.  I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be to reverse this payment.  It seems like it would just be part of a huge monthly payment they would make, but IDK.

0 Likes
Ken_Jung

Thank you for the reply. The thing I am worrying is once its sold to collections, doesn't it mean that my account is already marked as delinquent and damage my credit scores?

I even told to Verizon CS if its too complicated to reverse the amount, I will make the payment. But he told me that he will give me a call. And they sold it to Collection without a single warning/notification at all to me.

0 Likes
Not applicable

The damage has been done, but don't make it worse.  Pay it off ASAP.  That's my advice FWIW.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Well you are past the 90 days under the fair debt collections practices act to dispute it with verizon. You dispute it via certified return receipt requested and list the exact amount in dispute and why you dispute it. Now that is the Federal Laws. However Verizon gives you 180 days to dispute the charges and it never should be sent to collections until then.

You can send a letter to the three credit reporting agencies telling them you have been disputing it and you want it removed.

you can go out for credit at a large amount and you have the right to recover three times that amount if you take verizon and the credit bureaus to court.Because of the denial of credit due to their errors. It is just a way to push them to remove the information that is erroneous.

There are also state laws that govern debt collection which may also protect you.

http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fdcpa/fdcpact.shtm    https://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs27plus.htm

0 Likes