Canceling a plan
dsnymnky

I am thinking about cancelling my contract in with Verizon and I had a few questions. The first was how much it would cost to cancel if my contract ends in March. The second is that I am currently the primary line on my family plan and I wanted to know if my cancelling my line would cancel the rest of them or if it would just bump the next phone into the primary spot. There are 3 other lines on the plan so I know it wouldnt switch it to an individual plan.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Canceling a plan
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

This post was made over a year ago.  When I posted it, cancelling the primary line caused secondary lines to become "orphaned" with no minutes (since the minutes were technically assigned to the primary line), and in some cases cancelled automatically.  With the new account level pricing, it doesn't matter if you cancel one line on a Family Share plan.  The plan will remain intact as long as you have at least two lines.  If you drop down to one line, you'll need to switch to an Individual plan.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

The cost of cancelling your plan depends on how many months of your contract you have completed, when you signed your contract and what type of phone you have.  Generally, if you have a smartphone it will be $350 less $10 for each completed month, and if you have a dumbphone it will be $175 less $5 for each completed month.  A quick call to CS will confirm the amount.

If you cancel the primary line on a family account, ALL of the other lines will be cancelled as well.  Since you do not want to cancel the remaining lines, you should make your line a secondary line and go through an Assumption of Liability to transfer ownership of the account to one of the remaining users.  This is done easily over the phone with CS if both you and the new owner are present.  Once that is done, you can safely cancel your line (now a secondary) and the new owner can make any changes to their plan (downgrading it for instance) that they need to.  In the future, the new owner will be liable for all charges on the account.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

Take a look a Sadie's great phone here--->Early Termination Fee

0 Likes
MikeSnyd

Okay, here's a new question that I can not seem to find an answer too.  I am an account holder on my family plan. I am looking to cancel my contract which will be up at the end of next month. My sister is one of the people on my account. She wants to get on her husbands plan. And the remaining two people are my neice and wife. My neice will get on her mothers and fathers account. And my wife would rather cancel her service, than continue as the account holder on my current account. Her personal contract end date is not until Oct 2012. If I cancel my account, and not transfer the account to any of the subcontracted, will they have to pay an early termination fee?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

spottedcatfish wrote:

The cost of cancelling your plan depends on how many months of your contract you have completed, when you signed your contract and what type of phone you have.  Generally, if you have a smartphone it will be $350 less $10 for each completed month, and if you have a dumbphone it will be $175 less $5 for each completed month.  A quick call to CS will confirm the amount.

If you cancel the primary line on a family account, ALL of the other lines will be cancelled as well.  Since you do not want to cancel the remaining lines, you should make your line a secondary line and go through an Assumption of Liability to transfer ownership of the account to one of the remaining users.  This is done easily over the phone with CS if both you and the new owner are present.  Once that is done, you can safely cancel your line (now a secondary) and the new owner can make any changes to their plan (downgrading it for instance) that they need to.  In the future, the new owner will be liable for all charges on the account.

What's in blue is false.  What would happen would be your next oldest line becomes the account owner. Everything else stays intact as they are on their own seperate contracts.
0 Likes
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

This post was made over a year ago.  When I posted it, cancelling the primary line caused secondary lines to become "orphaned" with no minutes (since the minutes were technically assigned to the primary line), and in some cases cancelled automatically.  With the new account level pricing, it doesn't matter if you cancel one line on a Family Share plan.  The plan will remain intact as long as you have at least two lines.  If you drop down to one line, you'll need to switch to an Individual plan.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

spottedcatfish wrote:

This post was made over a year ago.

There ought to be a way to filter the old posts for information that was accurate at the time of posting but policy/plans/devices have changed and the info is no longer valid.  Not likely to happen, but frustrating when someone dredges up an OLD OLD thread quoting plans and info that is very outdated!!

0 Likes