Can an EFT problem, send the account to collections?
cstrain

So 2014 I wanted to try Verizon service, been a 20 year AT&T guy. The service wasn't as good at the house I was living in at the time, so under the 14 day return policy I sent back the phone and ported my number back to AT&T.

Fast forward to a couple days ago, tried to port my number to Verizon since I'd moved and AT&T was giving me poor service. Verizon says I owe ~$500 and it is with a collector. Jist of it is they charged my for ETF even though they confirmed I sent the phone back and ported number out of Verizon. Said sending the phone back doesn't cancel the line, and apparently porting out doesn't either. This makes absolutely no sense to me and as a trial attorney (don't shoot me!) I seriously doubt this would stand up.

I have never had a delinquent bill in my life, have a perfect credit history. I NEVER use credit so I don't ever check it or I would have seen this sooner. Apparently when I moved soon after the Verizon port out they didn't know my new address to send bill so I never received any notification of this.

So how should I handle this Verizon and community? After trying to get to a sensible resolution on phone CS for an house I thought to try this way. Any help is very appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Having a major ETF problem with Verizon from 3 years ago, just realized the account was in collections....
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having this type of thing to surface out of the blue would be disturbing to me as well. I see where you are coming from. Just to make sure I am clear. You sent the phone back and ported out. That is a true sign of canceling the account.

However, if this is an ETF then that is a separate issue that would only be resolved by a payment of that fee. Sending the device back and porting the number would not satisfy the ETF. It would indeed force it to be billed and due immediately after the account closes. As you mentioned, there was no way to know your new address to send the bill so it sounds like the disconnect happened there.

At this point if this in with a collection agency then the options will be limited being we no longer have ownership of the case. We are willing to take a look at it for more clarity (if possible).  We have sent you a private message please respond there. Thanks...

AnthonyM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Having a major ETF problem with Verizon from 3 years ago, just realized the account was in collections....
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having this type of thing to surface out of the blue would be disturbing to me as well. I see where you are coming from. Just to make sure I am clear. You sent the phone back and ported out. That is a true sign of canceling the account.

However, if this is an ETF then that is a separate issue that would only be resolved by a payment of that fee. Sending the device back and porting the number would not satisfy the ETF. It would indeed force it to be billed and due immediately after the account closes. As you mentioned, there was no way to know your new address to send the bill so it sounds like the disconnect happened there.

At this point if this in with a collection agency then the options will be limited being we no longer have ownership of the case. We are willing to take a look at it for more clarity (if possible).  We have sent you a private message please respond there. Thanks...

AnthonyM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes