Re: Can I upgrade early and leave unlimited data plan?
Snn5
Legend

Well, if Verizon can get some folks off UDPs then some folks might see where they are overpaying really vs what they use.  Also, DPP means that customers will stick around longer.  The idea is not always a contract of service, but maybe an agreement for a device.  Someone pays a little along the way for a phone, then they stay on Verizon, Verizon makes money.

0 Likes
Kyla1234
Contributor - Level 1

Here is the post http://www.droid-life.com/2015/10/08/verizons-20-unlimited-price-hike-more-details-about-who-it-impa...

It states

• If you have a really old plan, like a Legacy Alltel SmartChoice plan, where the unlimited data portion is built into the plan, you are also not affected.

I do not pay for my data separately, it's built into my smart pack plan for 110 a month. The wording is what has me questioning it since my data has never be separate.

Another post on Droidforums says the same thing and says a smart choice plans. But with this being so long ago I don't remember if there was a difference.

PHEW! That Was A Close One! Legacy Unlimited Plans Unaffected By Verizon Price Hike! | Android Forum...

0 Likes
Kyla1234
Contributor - Level 1

What is DPP?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Are you under contract?  If not, then this can affect you.  If you are, then no affect until that fact.  Plus, Verizon will at a later date raise the price again, that time fewer will be exempt.  Then, the price will rise again.  And, if not, you'll need a new phone.  Then you'll either buy full price from Verizon or elsewhere, or have to move over to a DPP and even then, there is a new activation fee on phones after Nov 15, then even after that....(yeah the increase will come) there will be another increase until it's just not feasible.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Device Payment Plan

Snn5
Legend

Way back when, at least 5 years ago, Alltel separated data and voice.  At least my plan was.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I suppose the best question to ask is:  What is the name of the plan on your Verizon Bill?

0 Likes
Kyla1234
Contributor - Level 1

Appears on my bill as - Friends & Family 10 Smart Pack 1200 109.99

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Have you compared the amount of data you use to the prices of other plans?

0 Likes
Kyla1234
Contributor - Level 1

Average is 16GB/17GB more depending on if my husband works out of town and for length of time. 

Currently we pay (with discount) $143 (including taxes) a month for 2 lines.

The new plan we would have to go with the 18GB and then limit/stress how much we use.

So $100 and then $40 per line. If we switched right now while still in contract. With discount it would be apx $175 with taxes.

If we were allowed to upgrade now we would trade our devices in on the Turbo 2 and use that $200 credit per line as payment (already spoken to store manager who said we could do this). The phones would then be apx $18 a month after that. Then 2- $20 line charges and then $80 for the 18GB with our discount. Total is apx $165ish with taxes.

0 Likes