Can I transfer my number to a new carrier without actually canceling my verizon account?
hanahb-nana

I have a verizon phone with a basic wireless plan and I'm hoping to give that phone with the same service plan to my father.  I would like to switch to another provider and keep my same phone number.  Is that possible to do, or will verizon consider that canceling my plan and charge me all those stupid fees?  My current verizon account is in my dad's name, and the bill will still get paid.  It will just have a new number.  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can I transfer my number to a new carrier without actually canceling my verizon account?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

You'll have to coordinate with Customer Service on this one.  Porting your number to another carrier is, effectively, canceling your contract with Verizon.  But essentially, all you want to do is change the phone number on the Verizon account,. while still porting the old number to another carrier.  It seems to me this would be allowed without termination fees - you are just changing the number - or rather, your Dad is, if the account is already in his name, and he will be keeping the phone.  If at all possible, go into a Verizon store and have them advise you on how to do the porting, and number switching.